Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CHEAPEST PLACE IN THE WORLD to become a Divemaster?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

CHEAPEST PLACE IN THE WORLD to become a Divemaster?

Hey guys,

Where is the cheapest place to become Dive Master/Dive Instructor?

I'm not looking for a discussion on whether or not going with the cheapest place is a good idea. I just want to know where you think is the cheapest!

Thanks,
    Ben

Scuba Instructor

Acknowledges your status.

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Fargo North Dakota USA? I have no clue do you?
    Join us for 7 nights at CoCo View Resort, Roatan, April 25, 2015
    utahscubadiver.com
    Utah's resource for local diving
    Everyone loves to fly, and flying underwater is even better than flying in air because there are things around you. ~ Graham Hawkes

Divemaster
    Badge

Senior Dive Guide

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Cheapest? I IMPO,all fees are pretty much set in stone. The cost of travel,lodging,food,entertainment,and whether you want to work for nothing during your certification,would be the total expense. Usually the big dive school operations that turn dozens of DM/IDC will be the most reasonable. I have seen group discounts also. Your location,I would check out the Philippines or Thailand areas.

"living life without a hard bottom"
    KT

Registered

Life is a lesson, you learn it
    when you through!

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    In South Africa you can do a DM course anything from $900-$1500

Registered

Has not set a "status"

I was thinking of doing a dive internship, but everywhere I look you have to pay $2000-$3000!

I don't know about you but I don't like the idea of PAYING to do an "intership". I was hoping to find somewhere that lets you work in the shop/boat in exchange for food, accommodation, and course fees. I've heard that these places exist, but not sure where they are!

The location doesn't really bother me because I'm going on a massive 2-3 year trip working my way all over the world. So I just want to know where would be the best place before I get there!

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

Divemaster

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Quote Originally Posted by bennygill View Post
    I was thinking of doing a dive internship, but everywhere I look you have to pay $2000-$3000!

I don't know about you but I don't like the idea of PAYING to do an "intership". I was hoping to find somewhere that lets you work in the shop/boat in exchange for food, accommodation, and course fees. I've heard that these places exist, but not sure where they are!

The location doesn't really bother me because I'm going on a massive 2-3 year trip working my way all over the world. So I just want to know where would be the best place before I get there!
    I guess there's part of your answer. All the places Ive been to, SEA, NZ, Oz, DM prices have been pretty similar. Id be very suprised if you managed to find free food, accommodation, fees etc. After all DMs/DMCs are a dime a dozen. I am one of those dimes/dozens. Finding work has been not as easy as I had hoped, I don't there are too many wealthy DMs in the world, it's more of a lifestyle. Fees being equal if you can do it somewhere nice, warm, cheap, friendly i.e. SEA thats what id do. Good luck.

Divemaster
    Badge

has set a status

Dives
    500 - 999
    I was hoping to find somewhere that lets you work in the shop/boat in exchange for food, accommodation, and course fees
    Working the shop/boat is part of doing your DM. You might get discount food and bed, but I'm yet to hear of anyone waiving course fees. Usually you get free (fun) diving while doing your course & that's the payoff

So as was suggested previously, your best bet is to choose somewhere with the lowest cost of living, which would be in Asia
    "You may not agree with everything I say but at the very least you'll come to understand that your differing opinion is wrong"

Best SB post ever: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3443054-post47.html

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    occasionally you see offers on the employment section on the PADI pro site, if you can find someone that lets you use their log in to check it out, they have intern adverts where you work off the costs but I immagine that there will still be charges even if only the PADI fees once you get in to it.

I think it may be worth your while searching some past threads on SB about DM wages to get a better idea of the sort of thing you are getting in to. 2-3 grand seems high, I don't know if you are quoting in oz dollars there, general advise is make sure when comparing prices that you are getting the full quote and know what the DM application fee is at the end of it, it's a nightmre when you hear about people signing up for courses and then get introduced to "hidden extras" that you can't really do the course without.

As above I immagine Thailand, Phillippines or Central America would be some of the cheaper ones and the point that someone made about living expenses in the country that you do it in is very valid too.

ScubaBoard Supporter

Go Red - Support SB!

knows better, but that has
    not stopped him yet.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Hey guys,

Where is the cheapest place to become Dive Master/Dive Instructor?

I'm not looking for a discussion on whether or not going with the cheapest place is a good idea. I just want to know where you think is the cheapest!

Thanks,
    Ben
    But maybe that discussion would be beneficial?

In my experience the word "cheapest" seldom is part of any sentence that includes the word "Quality".

[IMG]http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=181070&stc=1&d=1396550 637[/IMG [
    popcorn, turn the last [ to the left ]

custom Jewelery, inspired by my love of nature, and diving:

http://www.facebook.com/ringdoctor

Registered

Trying to get to first base
    with a jellyfish.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Kinkos - any location
    mjrob likes this.
    "Just because you've taken the class, doesn't mean you're qualified to do the dive."
    -- Ninja Diver

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast