Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Dumb AOW question

Registered

Are you for SCUBA?

Dives
    50 - 99

Dumb AOW question

OK, we are looking to get AOW certified this summer after quite a number of years of diving. A buddy of ours is no longer teaching classes since he's started a family, etc. He had mentioned a few of the specialty dives we could do with him that I cannot seem to find on any of the local dive shops because they all seem to offer the same 3 dives (on top of the 2 you have to take). So it looks like we are stuck with those.

But....

...I understand there are technically like 18 or so different dives we COULD potentially do for our AOW 3 specialty dives. So what are they? I can't seem to find them on PADI's site. Any help?
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes along their way."

Registered

cutting back on the fags

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    altitude
    boat
    cavern
    drift
    drysuit
    nitrox
    night
    bouyancy
    search and rescue
    photo
    wreck

there are some more
    living near the sea

Registered

Are you for SCUBA?

Dives
    50 - 99
    Quote Originally Posted by mala View Post
    altitude
    boat
    cavern
    drift
    drysuit
    nitrox
    night
    bouyancy
    search and rescue
    photo
    wreck

there are some more
    Thanks, Mala! Does one of the above include skills on how to tie knots/lift things from the bottom? If so, which one is that?
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes along their way."

MSDT

Has not set a "status"

Canmore, Alberta (if I can't have the ocean at my doorstep I will take the mountains!)
    Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by jewelofnile69 View Post
    Thanks, Mala! Does one of the above include skills on how to tie knots/lift things from the bottom? If so, which one is that?
    You are thinking of Search and Recovery.....not "search and rescue" as Mala listed. You will learn some basic information in the Adventure Dive for AOW, including three basic knots and some exercises involving recovering an object. The Specialty will go into a bit more detail on the subject.

Bill
    Deep breath...clear the mind...remove emotions from brain before fingers hit the keyboard....(from DevonDiver)

When training a new diver success is not them earning an open water certification, success is seeing them dive next year....
    (from Belce)

Planning and avoidance beats a toolbox of reactions any day.... (from TSandM)

Registered

cutting back on the fags

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    search and rescue.

remember the aow is only the first dive of each course-its an intro dive.

to do the whole course means to do the whole speciality.
    living near the sea

Registered

Are you for SCUBA?

Dives
    50 - 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
    Search and Recovery. You will learn some basic information in the Adventure Dive for AOW, including three basic knots and some exercises involving recovering an object. The Specialty will go into a bit more detail on the subject).

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by mala View Post
    search and rescue.

remember the aow is only the first dive of each course-its an intro dive.

to do the whole course means to do the whole speciality.
    Thank you both.

So, are they basically trying to sell you on taking the follow-on course, then? So with search and rescue, you'd take that as one of your AOW specialties and then go on to take the actual class if you liked it? Am I getting this right?

(I did some rigging in the Army so thought that sounded interesting.)

Registered

cutting back on the fags

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
    You are thinking of Search and Recovery.....not "search and rescue" as Mala listed. You will learn some basic information in the Adventure Dive for AOW, including three basic knots and some exercises involving recovering an object. The Specialty will go into a bit more detail on the subject.

Bill
    sorry-my bad

you are correct bill.

mixed ssi up with padi

doh..
    living near the sea

perpetual scuba student

former instructor

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Blog Entries
    A somewhat longer list, from the Instructor Manual:

Besides Deep and Navigation:

Altitude
    Boat
    DPV
    Drift
    Dry Suit
    Enriched Air
    Fish Identification
    Multilevel
    National Geographic
    Naturalist
    Night
    Peak Performance Buoyancy
    Photo
    Digital Photo
    Search and Recovery
    Video
    Wreck

As Hawkwood said, Search and Recovery has some knot tying and light lifting.

Dives from some classic courses such as Cavern and Ice are not offered as part of AOW.
    What's that scuba acronym?
    List of scuba agencies.
    Did you know nitrox and altitude can cancel?

To err is inevitable.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.” ― Dale Carnegie

Registered

cutting back on the fags

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Thank you both.

So, are they basically trying to sell you on taking the follow-on course, then? So with search and rescue, you'd take that as one of your AOW specialties and then go on to take the actual class if you liked it? Am I getting this right?

(I did some rigging in the Army so thought that sounded interesting.)

with aow you basically do the first dive of each speciality course.

you have to do nav and deep so that leaves you 3 to choose.

you dont do the whole course just the first dive of the course.
    living near the sea

MSDT

Has not set a "status"

Canmore, Alberta (if I can't have the ocean at my doorstep I will take the mountains!)
    Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    ...So, are they basically trying to sell you on taking the follow-on course, then? ...
    You could look at it that way I suppose. The idea of an "Adventure Dive" is to give the diver/student some exposure to different aspects of diving and different things that you can do when diving. If the diver is interested they can continue on and take the full course.

The "Adventure Dive" is the exact same dive as the first dive of any of the corresponding Specialty. For the Adventure Dive you will complete a knowledge review (maybe watch a video or do some pool work if required for that dive) and then do the skills...just the same as someone doing the first dive of the Specialty.

You can apply the Adventure Dive to the Specialty and just complete the balance of the work....providing the Instructor is willing. Depending on circumstances, that is not a given.

By the way, the knots are: two half hitches; sheet bend; and, bow line. Not hard, but some folks just cannot tie a knot if their life depended on it! Especially at 40F and big stiff gloves on.

Bill

By the way, it was not a dumb question.
    Deep breath...clear the mind...remove emotions from brain before fingers hit the keyboard....(from DevonDiver)

When training a new diver success is not them earning an open water certification, success is seeing them dive next year....
    (from Belce)

Planning and avoidance beats a toolbox of reactions any day.... (from TSandM)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast