PADI has been sold to another investment group. Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have any idea what to think about this. I guess we'll just wait and see what the investment firm does or doesn't do.

Two thoughts occur to me:

First, PE companies rarely (never?) buy business to leave them alone. Expect change. Plenty of change. Possibly starting new avenues of business leveraging existing client base (which is extensive and global).

Second, I have a really hard time believing the PADI has annual revenues in the $50 million plus range ("[Lincolnshire] typically backs companies with revenues of around $50 million to $500 million"). However you slice the dice the numbers, there is just no frikkin' way that can be the case with PADI.

I don't think we'll see a huge change. Why? Because as was reported there, "PADI is in a steady business that has continued to do well despite the global recession". This is more of a safe bet for people to invest in when all else is becoming more risky.

For sure there will be some new ideas but the core business obviously works and if it ain't broke, don't go fixing it.

The article seemed to indicate that they were thinking primarily of expanding the reach of the agency even further than it is now. It is possible that those of us who are already in a highly served area will not see that much change right away. (Just guessing.)

From what I've read, they target "mid-market level" companies with a focus of moving them to the next level. Not necessarily a bad thing at all for PADI -maybe a bad thing for small scuba orgs.

Who cares! Isn't this Capatilisim at works?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom