Looking for best agency for tec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RalphRocky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I’m posting here because I’m thinking about pursuing Tec diving and need advice on which agency to choose. So far, I’ve used PADI for my OW, AOW and Nitrox certifications, but I have a feeling (although admittedly unsubstantiated) that PADI is for casual divers; and that for tec diving, there may be a better agency. By better, I mean it offers better training, education and perhaps a more meaningful certification.

A little about me: I have AOW and nitrox certifications and have 150 dives, including 8 at 100 feet or deeper (soon to be 12). I plan to do rescue diver soon. I live in Los Angeles. I’m interested in tec diving for a few reasons. First, there’s cool stuff at 130+ feet that’s beckoning me to come visit. Second, tec diving is what’s next. After I get rescue diver, all that’s left is tec diving (I don’t plan on going for DM or master diver). Third, when diving recreationally, I occasionally hit my NDL and I’d like some training to make it safer.

Thanks for any and all information.

Jack

P.S. If there’s a recent, relevant thread, please direct me to it.

I'm not a fan of padis tec structure. I'm sure there are TDI or IANTD instructors in your area. You could also go NAUI or Gue if an instructor is in your area.

Tech instruction is pretty good by all agencies, although the instructor is what makes or breaks the course. Have fun and dive safe, never stop learning.

Ford vs Chevy. You wont find an unbiased opinion.

Thanks for the helpful advice. Do you have any thoughts about which agency?

Sorry I know that didnt help. Personally I went with TDI for all of my OW tech (adv nitrox thru adv trimix) and IANTD/NSS-CDS for cave. It was all based on instructor. When I decided to teach tech I felt that TDI and IANTD offered courses that I wanted to teach and that were in demand. People will argue this but I just dont think PADI/NAUI/SSI tech is in demand or respected. In my opinion it is too easy to become a tech instructor for those agencies. Thats not to say there are not some great PADI/NAUI/SSI tech instructos out there. Bottom line, find a instructor that is doing the dives you want to do. The agency doesnt matter at the diver level.

Teller---thank you, that really did help :wink:.

Blue Life---I go to Eco Dive Center for most of my stuff. I believe they do TDI. I'm not married to them, but unless there's a reason to go with someone else, I'll probably stick with them. I'm going to Fiji in July, so I probably won't have the time or money to go down to Mehico. Then again, I'm not wise with money so who knows! If you have something in mind please PM me.

Find an instructor by polling divers who do the kind of diving you wish to do in the environment in which you wish to do your tech diving. The agency that instructor chooses to issue cards through is inconsequential. PADI does have some of the best written materials, but that is also inconsequential.

My cave instructor was recommended to me by my friends who cave dive, and happened to teach IANTD. My trimix instructor was recommended to me by my cave instructor, and happended to teach PADI (although he was also credentialed to teach IANTD). My solo instructor was recommended to me by my local dive buddies, and happened to teach both PADI and SDI--so I ended up with both brand cards.

Now that I teach tech diving, I do so through PADI, because I have already paid their membership fees and their course materials are very good. If I should choose to teach a tech course that is not offered by PADI I will need to bite the bullet and pay off another agency to get their credentials as well.

theskull

A lot of instructors are multi agency qualified, so you get the same basic education but then you get to pick the agency for your certification at the end (well, not quite as simple as that, but you get the basic idea).

I have tended to choose TDI for a couple of basic reasons: (1) it was where I started, so I tried to consolidate all my certs in one agency, (2) it had fewer links in the chain, so I figured if I wanted to progress to advanced trimix, I would need to climb fewer intermediate rungs, and (3) it had the best online access to verify certifications if one do I forget my cards.

None of those are compelling in themselves, but it was enough for me to line up in that particular queue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom