SDI DM to join PADI IDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Progen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
IF I were to go to PADI instead for the IDC, will the SDI Divemaster certification be recognized or will I have to go for the PADI version?

From the PADI website, where anyone can see the PADI OWSI course outline....

• Be certified as a PADI Divemaster or a PADI Assistant Instructor or be an instructor in good standing with another training organization for at least six months (check with a PADI Course Director or Contact Us for qualifying credentials.)

From the 2013 Instructor Manual, these to prerequistes would apply to your situation:

1. PADI Divemaster, or leadership level with another diver training organization....

4. If not a PADI Divemaster, successfully complete the PADI Divemaster course dive rescue assessment.

From the PADI website, where anyone can see the PADI OWSI course outline....

• Be certified as a PADI Divemaster or a PADI Assistant Instructor or be an instructor in good standing with another training organization for at least six months (check with a PADI Course Director or Contact Us for qualifying credentials.)

From the 2013 Instructor Manual, these to prerequistes would apply to your situation:

1. PADI Divemaster, or leadership level with another diver training organization....

4. If not a PADI Divemaster, successfully complete the PADI Divemaster course dive rescue assessment.

Well, there you have it. Clear as mud. BTW, you won't get a response from PADI on SB...

Thanks, buddy. I do have some of their Australia guys in my email contacts but knew that I could get a faster reply over here.

To clarify things a bit, does leadership level mean instructor level?

You may bet a faster reply, but it will not necessarily be complete or correct. I quoted the Instructor Manual. You are best to contact PADI for the answer to your question.

Wookie and Hawkwood are talking about two different things, that's why their answers conflict with each other. The OWSI is not the same thing as the IDC, it is only one part of it. An IDC consists of an Assistant Instructor (AI) course and an Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) course. The prerequisite for an IDC is listed this way in the Course Director manual:

IDC/Assistant Instructor Course Prerequisites
1.Dive Leader certification — PADI Divemaster or leadership-level certification with a recognized recreational diver training organization who is either:
a. an instructor member in good standing, or
b.a diver with proof of certification in diver supervision and management including proof of rescue diving certification; 60 logged dives; documented experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater navigation.

It is further spelled out in the CD manual that training options are as follows:

Training options:
•PADI Divemasters may attend the AI course.
•PADI Divemasters may attend all IDC components and the IE.
•PADI Assistant Instructors may attend the OWSI program and IE.
•Scuba instructors or dive supervisors affiliated with other training organizations may attend an IDC and IE.
•Scuba instructors affiliated with other training organizations may attend an OWSI program and IE.

I have been part of two IDCs where NAUI DMs took the entire IDC and IE to become PADI instructors. You shouldn't have any problems but you can always contact PADI or the Course Director in charge of the IDC you are considering to get more clarification.

Thank you so much. The reason I asked was because I'll be getting a SDI CPROX and Rescue Diver training / certification for free in return for previous slave labour rendered and most probably Divemaster after but just in case the PADI IDC works out to be cheaper, I'll go for that instead. Planning to pay out of my own pocket so that I don't have to drag a chain around and can still afford time for animal welfare stuff.

Yes he’s right any Divemaster or leadership level with another diver training organization is acceptable, but I’m not entirely sure about which first aid course you will be taking alongside your rescue course. The prerequisite for the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Rating (IDC) is; to hold an Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care Course Completion (or alternative qualifying training) within the last 24 months. We have taken many candidates who have certifications from other agencies, and in fact we have had many SSI and SDI dive leaders taking our IDC course so I doubt there is any problem with going straight onto the PADI IDC.
We run the PADI IDC here in Indonesia in the only PADI 5 star CDC Resort on the Gili Islands and the resort has been awarded the highest possible PADI resort classification available, so you are safe in the knowledge that all facilities will be over the required standard for teaching the full range of PADI professional dive courses. Our classroom facilities are equipped with all the latest multimedia teaching aids and our training pool is located on site just outside of the classroom. Our open water training site has great visibility and is only a couple of minute’s boat journey away. It is equipped with purpose built training lines and is a perfect site for training potential PADI Instructors
Our PADI Instructor Development Course is 950 Euros and includes the EFRI course and the necessary pre IDC preparation study.
If you are looking for somewhere to take the PADI IDC than the Gili IDC is a great start and you can simply contact our PADI Course Director who will talk you through any concerns you have with your current and future certification issues.

Feel free to download our full IDC Brochure (pdf) or take a look at our PADI IDC Indonesia website for further information.
If you want to see how previous students have got on we can also be found on IDC Indonesia Facebook page.
Or simply check out our PADI IDC Gili Islands Video

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom