Financial aid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MilwaukeeDan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone know if there are any sort of scuba training financial aid/loan services out there? For example I am considering doing a Divemaster or Instructor internship in Thailand, but I don't have 3000-10000USD in the bank. Anyone know of any student loan programs I could utilize?

Having been a university and community college scuba instructor, find a school that offers scuba for credit and get financial aid. Zero to hero programs (not certified through instructor) are more in the 1000-3000 range, so try a personal loan at your bank/credit union, or get a nice credit card with 0% interest and make sure you pay it off. Some training facilities may have their own financing programs, but I haven’t seen an official financial aid program for people seeking scuba jobs. Probably because banks realize they’re not likely to ever get paid back.

If you can't afford the training, you certainly can't afford to earn a living as a DM/instructor.

:d

Or maybe, starting off in a debt is good "practical application" training to do so?

Does anyone know if there are any sort of scuba training financial aid/loan services out there? For example I am considering doing a Divemaster or Instructor internship in Thailand, but I don't have 3000-10000USD in the bank. Anyone know of any student loan programs I could utilize?

You have less than 24 dives. Spend your money of diving. You don't have the experience to become a DM or instructor yet. Get a few hundred dives behind you first.

Yea...this is kinda like you asking if you can get a loan to take an advanced course in how to lose money...there can't be many industries with greater likelihood of poor income.

The Diving profession is a great future for someone that has a lot of money going in to it.... and is just fine losing it. I suppose you could pick two livelihoods....get a student loan for one that is profitable, and then do the diving as a second job--just remember the 1st will be an income, the diving job will be an outcome :)

I agree... don't go into debt for a career that will probably not be able to pay it back. You're dream will turn into a nightmare if you do.

Or maybe, starting off in a debt is good "practical application" training to do so?

How do you come up with this stuff? Too funny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom