PADI Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheddarDavis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,

I have a question about mixing certifications from different agencies. I am a PADI guy (because I take all my scuba classes through my university and it's a ton cheaper than doing it through a dive shop). I am PADI OW, PADI AOW, and PADI nitrox certified and will be PADI Rescue and PADI full face comm mask certified in a few months. My university, however, doesn't teach other specializations like deep, wreck, search/recovery, etc. And all the dive shops nearby use either SSI or SDI. My question is: am I able to get my last 3 specialties (I already will have nitrox and comm mask through PADI) through SSI/SDI and still take the PADI Master Diver class? Or do all 5 specialties have to be from PADI?

Hi Cheddar,

The specialties have to be from PADI. Also don't forget that the MSD program is not actually a "class" - it's just an extra certification demonstrating achievement in diving (50 dives, Rescue + 5 Specialties) - you can add them as you go through your diving career.

Cheers

Crowley

sorry to highjack this but does anyone know if the Padi EFR class counts as a qualifying specialty?

No, it is just a part of Rescue.

Bob

Okay, here's a work around. I believe SDI lets you use equivalent coursework from other agencies toward their Master Diver rating. Here's a thread where you can scroll down to read their requirements. Since it's otherwise similar, you might find it worthwhile.

Oh, and if no one else mentioned it yet, NAUI has a Master Scuba Diver cert. course that's an actual course, originally designed to impart Instructor level knowledge (and I presume skill to some extent?) minus the teaching component. I've never taken it, but I bought the manual for it, which I and some others consider quite good in its own right.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom