Agency with similar standards to the old YMCA program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flspy

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got my OW in the early 1980's with YMCA through the Boy Scouts at Durland Scout Center in Rye, New York.

At the time, it was a very rigorous program. You had to be able to do 12 laps in a 25 meter pool without stopping or you were dismissed from the class. They were also very particular about drilling safety procedures. Those days are long gone, I know.

30 years later, and now it is finally time for me to get an AOW cert so I can go on dive boats here in South Florida that do anything deeper than 80 feet. YMCA is no longer active in certification, but I would like to take coursework with the same dedication.

I don't want to start a hater session, but I am trying to get a general idea of what agencies have similar values.

Suggestions?

I was certified with a YMCA for my OW2 class and really enjoyed it.

You are not completely out of luck however.

SEI has taken over where YMCA left off.

Cheers,
Mitch

SEI is what became of the Y programs. IDK any details about what they offer but Jim Lapenta does. SEI Diving

I am an SDI and SEI (formerly the YMCA) instructor. They are not the same thing. I will say however that for AOW don't worry about the agency. Find an instructor that will not waste time with what's in the book. I tailor classes to the student and wrote my own AOW class. It's the one I teach and is more like an Intro to Tech. I'm not the only instructor that does this. We just take a little more work to find. Quite often we are independents and don't teach for a shop.

"At the time, it was a very rigorous program. You had to be able to do 12 laps in a 25 meter pool without stopping or you were dismissed from the class. They were also very particular about drilling safety procedures. Those days are long gone, I know."

Those days are not long gone. Not by a long shot. In fact some of the things we have toughened up a little and added to them.

I guess I am not seeing anyone recommending PADI?

Why not? Good instructor is what really matters at the end. I am sure you can get with someone like Peter Guy (I think he is PADI). I am sure there are plenty of other instructors.

it's really ALL about the instructor. Personally I find the best instructors seem to be NAUI and SDI/TDI though I do know some great PADI instructors.

Hi flspy.

You qualified your question with the wording "..with the same dedication..." to the standards of the old YMCA.

I teach SEI/CMAS/NAUI basic classes at a university. The requirements remain quite high in that venue and as I suspect Jim would agree will carry over into private or public classes.

My basic classes are about 65 hours.

Good on you for looking for that quality.
Mike

Just have a conversation with a local PADI Instructor; much like divers themselves, there is variety in the quality of instructors.

Without getting into the usual BS word play.....the next class taken after open water (regardless of the name of that class or agency) should....in my opinion include instruction on gas planning.

Have a conversation with an Instructor and ask them if they teach it in their "My class after Open Water" course.

Some Instructors will teach it....others probably don't even know it themselves.

Cheers,
Mitch

Back
Top Bottom