NAUI - Nitrox Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charles2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
After years of diving air only, I finally decided to take the NAUI Nitrox course. It was well presented and very informative. I'm glad I took it.

There is; however, one little thing that has been bugging me about the final exam. It seems there are several questions on the final exam that have absolutely nothing to do with the safe use of nitrox. For instance, one of the questions was:

"In order to provide additional insulation, what gas is introduced into dry suits?

a. air
b. nitrox
c. argon
d. a blend of gasses"

My questions are:

What does this have to do with the nitrox?

Why is it on the test?

Do other agencies have what appear to be non-related questions on their exams?

BTW - I passed the exam and got my cert.

My SDI/PADI/SSI experience has been that most of the questions tend to be basic and on track.

Within the general context of gases it is good to know that there could be a bottle laying around that is not breathable.

If argon is covered in the discussion of gasses it is not unreasonable to have an isolated question on it. Just my opinion.

I teach a fair amount of NAUI nitrox as well as TDI nitrox. I was surprised when I learned how "basic" the TDI course is - truly an example where only the bare bones content will make it to the test. The NAUI course provides more context - opens doors to knowledge beyond common recreational nitrox. Two different approaches to teaching and assessing, both very respectable, and both providing divers the opportunity to become competent nitrox divers. When teaching the college oceanography and marine bio students, I find they enjoy the "extra" content and exposure found in the NAUI class. My neighbors (who are decidedly "non-academic") were relieved that the TDI course did not require the need for additional time and study.

Different strokes...
Congrats on the class and nitrox cert!
:coffee:

Thanks for the comments. After additional thought, I guess that I am OK with that question on a nitrox test. I have always enjoyed the NAUI courses since I was first certified in 1966. There was always supplemental information presented that, although it might not be pertinent to the subject at hand, helped me learn more about scuba.

One of the goals of the EANx course that I teach is to get students thinking about gas. We start thinking about gas in open water air diving - primarily thinking about whether or not we have enough of it, then endeavoring to plan how much we may need, etc. In Nitrox we start to think about the composition of the gas we're breathing to leverage chemical and physiological benefits of that gas.

The question that you posed is simply an awareness question as it relates to thinking about gasses in diving. Your high school chemistry course taught you about inert and noble gasses, atomic weights, etc. This question just gets your brain, which is already thinking about gas composition, and stretches it to think about insulative qualities and what properties of various elements may provide benefits in that specific application.

Good diving courses get you thinking. Questions that are seemingly out of left field can be more applicable than they may seem initially.

MB:
I teach a fair amount of NAUI nitrox as well as TDI nitrox. I was surprised when I learned how "basic" the TDI course is - truly an example where only the bare bones content will make it to the test. The NAUI course provides more context - opens doors to knowledge beyond common recreational nitrox. Two different approaches to teaching and assessing, both very respectable, and both providing divers the opportunity to become competent nitrox divers. When teaching the college oceanography and marine bio students, I find they enjoy the "extra" content and exposure found in the NAUI class. My neighbors (who are decidedly "non-academic") were relieved that the TDI course did not require the need for additional time and study.

Different strokes...
Congrats on the class and nitrox cert!
:coffee:
I did the TDI nitrox this may and I was disappointed in the course content. I thought it would be more in-depth than others like PADI or SDI, hence I went for it. Too bad for me you didn't see the other nitrox thread and post earlier. [emoji19]

P

I did the TDI nitrox this may and I was disappointed in the course content. I thought it would be more in-depth than others like PADI or SDI, hence I went for it. Too bad for me you didn't see the other nitrox thread and post earlier. [emoji19]

P
TDI is SDI ... are you saying the SDI branded course is more in depth than the TDI version?

2 aspects to your question. the best gas for the dry suit is argon. NON BREATHABLE.....
since all you need dry suit gas for is eliminating the pinch of the suit use the cheapest gas unles you need argon in real cold water or long duration dives. Nitrox is costly complared to air so if you have an alternative air source for the suit other than you primary gas tank, use it instead. So backup breathng gas for the suit use is ok but not so for the best gas for the suit being breathable.

After years of diving air only, I finally decided to take the NAUI Nitrox course. It was well presented and very informative. I'm glad I took it.

There is; however, one little thing that has been bugging me about the final exam. It seems there are several questions on the final exam that have absolutely nothing to do with the safe use of nitrox. For instance, one of the questions was:

"In order to provide additional insulation, what gas is introduced into dry suits?

a. air
b. nitrox
c. argon
d. a blend of gasses"

My questions are:

What does this have to do with the nitrox?

Why is it on the test?

Do other agencies have what appear to be non-related questions on their exams?

BTW - I passed the exam and got my cert.

---------- Post added July 27th, 2014 at 01:44 AM ----------

I was completely bummed when i took nauii nitrox. Easy course but the issue of EAD adn the like escaped my reasoning. Why not just make a table for each of the mixes for 22-40. Then the light came on when i did trimix. because you cant just make tables fo every combination of o2 he and n2. The issue of ead calculation method now had a pracctical use. Some things are just not evident till some future time.

TDI is SDI ... are you saying the SDI branded course is more in depth than the TDI version?
TDI. I don't know if SDI is better, but it is said to be modernized. TDI presentation was certainly looking aged.

I was referring to the earlier post that NAUI course is very well presented and more in-depth, not comparing TDI to SDI.
Next time I'll try SDI for any course as I know know TDI will be old wine.
I don't think NAUI course are available in SE Asia, are they?

P

perhaps due to the fact lnger ndl time is allowed with nitrox, a diver may choose to use argon to stay warmer. I would think the question is placed there to have you start thinking of taking adittional course when you are ready.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom