Anything "scuba" about dive agency's CPR and First Aid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spthomas

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Back in the day when I did my training, All the scuba agencies used the established CPR and First Aid training agencies. So, as I recall, NAUI used ASHI, and SSI used NSC, and I think PADI used Medic First Aid. Then of course, the $$$$ appeared and the scuba training agencies started developing their own CPR and First Aid. As I've said before, I'm ok with that as long as they all follow the current CPR Guidelines, and all require hands-on skills practice and demonstration, and I think they all do. My question is this: Is there anything different about these scuba agency courses and regular normal CPR and First Aid courses? Any scuba content?

And if (as I suspect) there isn't any scuba-specific content, are there any classes out there specifically designed to train divers in things they'll encounter in the scuba realm? National Safety Council once had a Scuba First Aid course, but I think it's gone.

ASHI used to allow a great deal of flexibility in the content and delivery of their programs - what NAUI folks refer to as "academic freedom" for instructors to teach beyond the minimum standards. Because of that many NAUI instructors would teach ASHI first aid. For example my previous BFA course taught basic FA, then supplemented each skill with water-based and dive-based applications, particularly when delivering BFA to divers. (Similar to DAN's FA course today.) It was a great way to customize training to meet students' interests and needs. With the recent update in the ASHI administrative standards, I'm not clear ASHI instructors have that academic freedom any more. I'm not sure they don't, but I'm eager to hear from ASHI what they think about this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom