Is PDIC still around?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hijax

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was interested in getting my daughter OW certified. I checked and there's a LDS that's offering PDIC OW certification. Checking the PDIC site, it looks like the last updates were in 2011 and throws errors on some pages of the site.

Is PDIC still around? I saw another thread from 2011 that touched on its status back then but with no site updates since, I'm concerned about getting a cert from a possibly or soon-to-be defunct company.

And yes, I understand that ensuring proper training is equally important. For me, that goes without saying. I just want to narrow the question to the certifying agency.

Thanks.

Why are you interested in this particular PDIC shop? There are probably 3 dozen shops in your area. If no one can assure you a PDIC certification will still be valued years from now maybe you want to see if someone can recommend another shop in the area.

This thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/in...9-pdic-international-under-new-ownership.html gives some info.

I sent a PM to ScubaBoard member “PDIC Intl” suggesting he weigh in on this thread. He hasn’t logged into ScubaBoard since February of last year, so it will be interesting to see if he joins this discussion.

Even if a reputable agency were to go defunct, I suspect most/all diver operations will still recognize the certification card for just what it is: evidence that you have been trained in scuba to that level at that time. Just the same as cards from other recognized agencies. If you’ve found the instructor you’d like your daughter to train with, I say go for it.

This thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/in...9-pdic-international-under-new-ownership.html gives some info.

I sent a PM to ScubaBoard member “PDIC Intl” suggesting he weigh in on this thread. He hasn’t logged into ScubaBoard since February of last year, so it will be interesting to see if he joins this discussion.

Even if a reputable agency were to go defunct, I suspect most/all diver operations will still recognize the certification card for just what it is: evidence that you have been trained in scuba to that level at that time. Just the same as cards from other recognized agencies. If you’ve found the instructor you’d like your daughter to train with, I say go for it.

Hello hijax
Thanks for posting a great question. PDIC is still actively certifying students across the world. Certifications that are issued to students on completion of their non leadership course do not expire and are valid worldwide. We monitor Scubaboard for questions asked by consumers and appreciate your interest in getting your daughter certified. PDIC did in fact change ownership in 2011 and we have been working on rebuilding PDIC as a whole. We are working on updating the website and the information on it. When you train with a PDIC instructor you receive a PDIC certification- not a joint/combined certification with SEI. SEI is our sister company but we operate separate.
knotical said it correctly- "If you’ve found the instructor you’d like your daughter to train with, I say go for it" We want your scuba experience and training to be fun and educational with an emphasis on safety. PDIC Courses are designed to create a lifelong love of scuba. If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to contact us directly at our offices 765-281-0133. Our staff is always willing to help.

Hello hijax
If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to contact us directly at our offices 765-281-0133. Our staff is always willing to help.

Thanks for the reply. Precisely what I was looking for. My main concern was ensuring that it'll continue to be recognized. I was originally certified via NASDS in 1988 and about 3 years ago, had someone question the validity of my C-card since they'd never heard of it. So I'm trying to be considerate of my daughter.

Appreciate the feedback from all.

... I was originally certified via NASDS in 1988 and about 3 years ago, had someone question the validity of my C-card since they'd never heard of it. ...
As you're probably aware, NASDS merged with SSI about 15 years ago. Hopefully whoever questioned your card was simply unaware. Did a bit of education resolve the issue?

As you're probably aware, NASDS merged with SSI about 15 years ago. Hopefully whoever questioned your card was simply unaware. Did a bit of education resolve the issue?

It did. The owner of the dive operation came over and recognized it immediately so it turned into a positive educational scenario for the person tending to us. Since then, I've gotten my updated SSI card along with my SSI AOW cert. All good for now. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom