BLS for Healthcare Provider course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mostlyirish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
DOes completion of a Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers course satisfy the Resue Diver prerequisite to have Emergency Response (equivalent) certification? There is a course available locally that I want to take but do not want to spend the money if it won't satisfy the prerequisite.

Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers with First Aid

Thanks

I would accept this card as a prerequisite to a rescue diver course. It covers what any first aid/CPR/AED course requires. Do you meet the prerequisites? The description says it is designed for healthcare providers. That may mean that they will use terms that the layman will not understand. My real question is: Will they let you into the course?

Looking at the course description, I would be inclined to say yes it does...

When I did the PADI Rescue course, I used American Red Cross 1st Aid, AED, and CPR. I also used these certs in my PADI Divemaster and PADI Assistant Instructor courses to meet the prerequisites.

The easiest way to confirm this is to ask your Rescue course's training agency. I know you can call or email PADI and have your answer quickly.

Good luck with you course...Rescue is a great one I think all divers should take.

~Oldbear~
:)

Thanks for the quick reply. I do have to confirm that I will be admitted to the class. As a previously certified first aid and cpr responder at a power plant I think I will qualify but am not sure. The course is offered as part of the continuing education curriculum and appears as a senior citizen seeking certification I may be admitted.

BLS for the HCP would satisfy the CPR/AED portion but you will still need to show proof of first aid training (Certain medical professions count too) and the instructor would have to cover Serious bleeding, Shock and Spinal injuries.

like ffdiver

Last I checked, PADI Rescue required prerequisites of both primary care (CPR) and secondary care (first aid) within the last two years. The course you linked to seems to lack the secondary care segment.

I misunderstood. I thought the description was BLSPRO with first aid. I see that it is BLSPRO for Pros that already have First Aid. If there is no first aid component, it will not satisfy the requirement for rescue course.

the Faithful Guardian training center right there in town offers the courses you need. Looks like the course is $10. A true bargain.

Thanks for all of the replies. I also assumed the course would contain a First Aid component. I will have to do some further research before commiting.

BLS for Healthcare Provider is an American Heart course that covers CPR, AED, and choking. It does not cover 02 or first aid.

Wookie, thanks for the Faithful Guardian tip. I was not aware of their offerings. Will evaluate that pronto.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom