Failed PADI Rescue....now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Overall just having a rough day.

Did your instructor say you "failed" or that you needed to come back and try again? Any decent instructor will keep working with you until you're good to go.

What did you have trouble with?

Failure to be active and take control of a rescue situation. Lacking confidence mostly. Nothing else was said about helping me further

Happened with my AOW too.....now I might have to wait until the spring to do the rescue course again and that seems like such a long time. I didn't even do any of the exercises in open water because the instructor thought I couldn't do it. What a way to show support.

Tell the instructor you want to know details of why you failed. He/She should be happy to give you detailed information that you need to work on.

I don't like to "fail" students. I want to work with them until they are able to meet the performance requirements to my satisfaction. As long as they are willing to put in the work, I am willing to work with them.

See if the instructor will do scenarios with you in a pool. This is a great way to gain experience and confidence while in a fairly benign environment.

Don't give up hope. If this instructor won't work with you, find a mentor. If you want to work on stuff in warm water, come down to Key Largo, Florida and I would be happy to work with you!

Scott

If you are doing these classes in Newfoundland, then we divers who did Rescue, etc., in warm tropical waters can hardly question your difficulties. Cold, low-vis water is another world. That said, once you do pass, you will probably have gotten more out of the course than people like I did.

Happened with my AOW too...

I think its also possible that some self-reflection might be in order. If you were unable to pass AOW on the first go 'round, and now the same thing happens on Rescue there may be some underlying fundamental skill/comfort/confidence issues. There's really nothing in AOW to prevent any student from "passing" the course if they have rudimentary diving skills and a willingness to put in a reasonable effort. Perhaps your initial OW training wasn't very good? Your SB profile is not filled in, so hard to know what your experience level is.

If you learned to think through your dive conditions & plan beforehand, to anticipate reasonably foreseeable problems and the more common problems that may arise (e.g.: stuck inflator, 2nd stage falls off, free-flow, etc...) and respond with 'stop, look, think, act' rather than 'freak out and bolt,' then in my book, you succeeded at the most important part of the course. Unless you want to become a de facto scuba lifeguard.

Now, I'm thinking it's time to do remedial work building your knowledge and skill base to the point where you can pass.

A scuba cert. course is not like a high school test where you get a grade, and that's it. It's more like a mountain out behind your backyard that you have not climbed...yet. Will 'yet' be 'never'? Up to you.

Best wishes from a guy who spun like a top with a weight belt and blew neutral buoyancy doing OW check out dives and had to finish up the course on referral on vacation. Over 200 dives later, I can tell you, while it's nice and affirming to succeed handily right off the bat at something, sometimes that's not an option and the thing is worth doing anyway.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom