NAUI Master Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in a class and should be taking the exam in a few weeks. I've asked the Head Instructor what to expect... will the in class info be enough? She said to study the book as well which I've been doing since I haven't really gotten a feel for what I need to focus on for the exam. She explained that the exam was divided into sections that, I guess, correspond to the book and mentioned the physics part. I asked her if that was the part that was the hardest and she said "it depends on your strengths." So, that sounds like all the vast number of Physics majors working on certs will do fine on that part of the exam but the rest of us are in trouble...? Say what?

Just looking for some good feedback on what to expect both in terms of degree of difficulty and content. FYI, I have a master's degree from a major university and a number of other cert's. I just don't know how to prepare for this one.

Hey Brad. The MSD exam can be challenging. It is used not only to complete the MSD course, but also to help identify potential weakness in DM candidates and Instructor candidates who choose to cross over to NAUI. If your Instructor has reviewed the content of the physics with you then you should be fine. The intent of the exam is not to make you a physics expert, but to understand how physics realtes to your diving. One of the purposes of the face to face classroom time is for your Instructor to explain and discuss the concepts that you will need to know for the diving portion of the class as well as help prepare you to pass the exam. The hardest portion of an exam will always be subjective based on your comprehension of the material. Continue to focus on the substance presented in the class and ask about subjects that may be unclear and you should do fine.

I have not taken the NAUI Master exam, but have taken several others that included the physics portion of diving. In my opinion, most folks overthink the physics questions. Just relax, and make sure that your answers make sense. A little review of Boyle's law, Dalton's law, and maybe even Henry's law is in order and you will do just fine.

I see you are in Texas. Is that where you are taking your exam? Where are you taking the course and who is your instructor?

The NAUI MSD course, as my shop described it, is to make someone knowledgeable, factual, skilled, and competent. The basis of understanding is equivalent to the DM level, but without the "store" side (or so we were taught). The shop always said they wanted to have their divers being the ones speaking truths rather than yanking it out of their A$$...

Honestly, for me, it was more of a challenge being quizzed on the marine animal/exposure dangers (I am almost exclusively fresh water diver), and condition specific issues (like the environment of the PNW vs. the Great Lakes) that, despite 25 years of diving, I didn't have frequent exposure to so it wasn't "in my toolbox".

The basic physics behind diving, that's really quite common, constant, and fairly simple (IMHO)....

The best way to describe it is, as a MSD, you should not only know what we do, but why we do it......

I enjoyed the program quite a bit.

I see you are in Texas. Is that where you are taking your exam? Where are you taking the course and who is your instructor?

I assumed the exam would require the General Gas Law for the most part...?

I'm taking it through the university I work for (cheaper since I get a fee waiver), Texas State University. Instructor works for the local dive shop.

Back
Top Bottom