Converting CMAS to PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a French friend recently emigrated from France to the USA who wants to convert her CMAS 1-star card to a PADI card.

Is this possible? If so, what procedure?

Thanks!

Usually divers will take the next higher level class. In this case she could take a PADI AOW course and get that card. See: http://www.stranypotapecske.cz/kurzy/cmaspadi.pdf
I'm not aware of a way to just convert. And hopefully there would be no need, because CMAS is just about universally recognized (and respected).

Why? There is no need to..if she really needs a padi card she can either take the next level course thru PADI or take an PADI ow cours..

Thanks! Good information.

CMAS one star is lower than OW and is supposed to dive only under supervision of a dive professional in europe. She needs to verify that her one star would qualify as adequate for entry into higher level training. SEI is the cmas training arm in the us and as a cmas instructor I would need to evaluate her current knowledge and skill level before issuing any card or admitting her into higher level training. One star is technically not equivalent to ow.

CMAS one star is lower than OW and is supposed to dive only under supervision of a dive professional in europe. She needs to verify that her one star would qualify as adequate for entry into higher level training. SEI is the cmas training arm in the us and as a cmas instructor I would need to evaluate her current knowledge and skill level before issuing any card or admitting her into higher level training. One star is technically not equivalent to ow.
But CMAS Standard 2.A.5, paragraph 4.1 says:
A CMAS One Star Diver shall be trained such that when assessed by a CMAS Instructor, he shall be deemed to have sufficient knowledge, skill and experience to procure air, equipment, and other diving services and to plan, conduct, and log open-water dives that do not require mandatory inwater decompression stops, without the supervision of a CMAS Instructor or CMAS Dive Leader, when properly equipped and accompanied by another certified diver of at least the same level, provided the diving activities undertaken, the diving conditions and the diving area are similar, equal or better to those in which training was received.

CMAS one star is lower than OW and is supposed to dive only under supervision of a dive professional in europe.

That's simply not true. CMAS* divers have on average a more comprehensive training than PAID OWDs. The training includes extensive snorkeling, rescue, simple navigation and even decompression planing. They are supposed to dive with a buddy who's at least CMAS** and limited to 21m though.

If it is a French certification it will be FFESSM Level one not CMAS one star. Level one gets a one star equivalence, but the FFESSM certification has it's own accepted allowances. At the end of the day you should dive within your training - there are no dive police and no such thing as a "qualification" nor an entitlement. FFESSM 1 is a "supervised" level but the supervisor does not have to be "professional" as in someone that is paid. I think you are correct in that the best route forward is for the person's current level of training and skills to be assesed before them moving on to another certification that would be better recognised for their new geographic location. It is common in France to move the "other" way (PADI to FFESSM) for much the same reason. Neither PADI OW nor FFESSM Level 1 are the "right" place to stop the training process and view oneself as a "diver" IMHO.

My apologies for the error. It's been a while since I looked at the French certs. I knew a level one diver got better education than the average ow diver but was mistaken on the level of supervision required. With cmas certs being a regional thing as far as what they can and cannot do it also comes down to laws in those countries. France does have actual laws on the books for diving. How much they are followed by individuals is something else. I still stand by the recommendation of a full evaluation. It may surprise the instructor as some of her knowledge may be above theirs. At least with the deco part.

It is FFESSM Level 1. Does this mean that she can progress to PADI Nitrox or AOW?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom