Can PADI Instructors use DIR Gear While Teaching?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divetech99

Contributor
Reaction score
1. Does PADI allow their instructors to use the standard DIR gear while conducting PADI OW and Specialties courses?

2. Do they still require snorkel?

3. Can PADI OW students use a BP/W and Long hose (DIR SETUP) while learning OW?

1. Does PADI allow their instructors to use the standard DIR gear while conducting PADI OW and Specialties courses?

Yes, DIR/Hogarthian type equipment fulfills the standard for instructor equipment according to PADI.

The specific standard for instructor required equipment is containing in the PADI Instructor Manual, General Standards and Procedures chapter:

"Equipment

Standard Diver Equipment

Make sure divers have, at a minimum:

1. Fins, mask and snorkel
2. Compressed gas cylinder and valve*
3. Buoyancy control device (BCD) with tank mount or separate backpack, and low pressure inflator*
4. Primary regulator and alternate air source*
5. Breathing gas monitoring device (e.g. submersible pressure gauge)
6. Depth monitoring device
7. Quick release weight system and weights (if necessary for neutral buoyancy, or if required for skills practice)
8. Adequate exposure protection appropriate for local dive conditions.
9. At least one audible emergency surface signaling device (whistle, air horn, etc.).
10. Dive computer or RDP (eRDPML or Table)

Standard Instructor and Certified Assistant Equipment

Have all standard diver equipment plus:
1. Time monitoring device
2. Compass
3. Knife/diver’s tool
Exception: Where prohibited locally.
4. Two surface signaling devices – one audible (whistle, air horn, etc.) and one visible (inflatable surface tube, flare, signal mirror, etc.).
5. Dive flag – where required locally
6. Instructions for use for dive computer or RDP/eRDPML"

None of these standards/descriptions preclude DIR/Hogarthian type equipment. A BP&W remains a BCD as per the function and description. There are no prohibitions on long hose. Indeed, the skill of air donation requires the AAS to be available "in a triangle between the mouth and hips". From the mouth donation is also acceptable and standard for divers using AIR2 type devices.

2. Do they still require snorkel?

They have to "have" a snorkel. i.e. be equipped with it. They do not have to wear it on their mask, other than to specifically demonstrate certain snorkel-focused skills. For that reason, some instructors opt for folding-type snorkels that they store in a pocket etc.

3. Can PADI OW students use a BP/W and Long hose (DIR SETUP) while learning OW?

As per the equipment standards quoted above.... Yes, they can wear DIR/Hogarthian type equipment.

I taught OW courses for a year at a dive center that only had BP&W BCDs for rental and classes. I wear a BP&W with long-hose regulator (DIR) for any course dives where I'm not using sidemount and/or doubles - but I don't really teach many/any OW classes any more.

We teach all our private OW students in backplates and primary donate systems (although we don't use 7' hoses). We do all our OW dives (whether private or through the shop) with us in our backplates and long hoses. In the pool, I wear a snorkel for the days where snorkel skills are demoed. In OW, I have a roll-up snorkel in my pocket.

Thank you for your responses. Good to know that PADI allows DIR setup. Is it harder to teach first time students in a BP/W vs standard BCD?

Thank you for your responses. Good to know that PADI allows DIR setup. Is it harder to teach first time students in a BP/W vs standard BCD?

Harder than what? Harder for whom? You should probably try both methods and decide for yourself.

Is it harder to teach first time students in a BP/W vs standard BCD?

I would simply type "NO" but the ScubaBoard system requires at least 5 characters.

:d

The fact of the matter is that it is far EASIER to teach students equipped with BP/W rigs. At least those instructors who do so seem to agree. Those who have never tried it insist it can't be done.

:cool2:

Agree, my shop and myself only teach DIR set up and it works very well. For those that will be travelling I include a session on "conventional" equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the plates are also much cheaper for the shops in the long run because you don't need to have a bunch of differently sized rigs, you can have enough for the class being taught and a couple of spares, no reason to have multiples in each size. They last longer, the plates and harnesses essentially last forever, and if the wing breaks you're out $150 instead of the whole rig. Means less weight required on the belts which makes the whole process easier.

I'm not sold on teaching in long hoses, but much prefer the Dive Rite regulator routing which many of us have been doing for many years. It is still streamline, allows for easier donation, and the only downside is you can't make single file exits, which OW students shouldn't be doing because OOA means start ascent. The 90* elbows are awesome for sharing air in close proximity.

I believe it would be easier to teach OW students in such gear, but I won't get a chance to find out in the near future because the people who run the instruction at our shop believe the opposite. They have never used the gear themselves, but they know it is only for expert divers. When I disagree--well, I don't know what I'm talking about.

When I teach the pool sessions for the OW courses, I generally take some of the same rental gear the students have so that they see me demonstrate skills in the same configuration they are using. There are times when none is available to me, and the shop is OK with me using my gear in those situations. When I do the open water sessions, I use my own gear, and the shop has no problem with that. They just don't think students should be using it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom