Rapid Diver FAQ's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea-Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Here are some the Rapid Diver FAQS:

1. When was the Rapid Diver developed by whom and who were the first users?

The Rapid Diver was developed/invented (holds Patent and Trademark) by Christopher De Felice in early 2002 and Orange County Sherriffs Dept was the first operation to deploy the units. I work closely with the biggest PSD operations in the world and the common problem with dive rescue equipment on the first responder vehicles is that they (first responders) do not have any room in their vehicles for standard size systems, 100's won't fit, 80's won't fit and 50's won't fit...which means that the dive equipment is not deployed on the scene with the first responder. The Rapid Diver is exactly what is intended to be: Rapid response, Rapid entry, Rapid rescue. There are 100's of Rapid Divers are being used worldwide in a number of applications and there have been reports of successful rescues. The Rapid Diver is the favored system for the off shore racing series and is being used by Marine Patrol, Fire Rescue, Homeland Security, Border Patrol and in Maritime Security operations.

PM me if you would more information about who is using the Rapid Diver System.

If you are a manufacturer and would like to license the Rapid Diver technology contact Chris@RapidDiver.com. We take patent and trademark infringement seriously. If you know of any possible infringement please report it to: Legal@RapidDiver.com

2.How much time do you get underwater with the Rapid Diver?

The physics are the same. An average diver breathes about 1 cu ft per minute. The standard tank for professional use is the 27 cu ft steel tank. We have reports of 30+ minutes in 30 feet or less. Please report you air consumption times on your posts! My strong recommendation is to add a 6 cu ft tank or 13 cu ft tank as standard bail out. The bailout tanks easily mount to the bottom side of the primary tank for quick access and don't encumber the unit. Total capacity can be increased to from 27 cu ft to 33 cu ft (with a 6) and 40 cu ft with the 13 cu ft tank (my recommendation).

3.Is the Rapid Diver "Made in America"?

Yes, the Berry Amendment Rapid Diver Tactical is made in the USA.

4.Is the Rapid Diver "Universal fit"?

Yes it is. The innovative Back Pad can adjust up and out. Short or tall, slim or stout. The Rapid Diver can accomodate all users. When the unit is prepacked in its carrying case, all that is needed is that during shift change the new rescue personnel pre adjust the unit for ready-to-go configuration. Once the unit is properly adjusted the unit will only take seconds to don.

5. How long does the Rapid Diver take to deploy?

With the straps pre-adjusted the unit takes less then 15 seconds from duffel to don.

6. Where can I buy a Rapid Diver Tactical or Rapid Diver Responder?

www.SubSeaTactical.com

7. What do you recommend for Public Safety Divers

As you know the PSD community is very specialized depending on their particular region of the country. I follow NFPA 1670: Standard on Operations and Training for Technical Rescue. The Rapid Diver has secured its niche in the PSD community because rescue professionals have unique requirements and unfortunately limited budgets and space to store their equipment.

One of the challenges in creating the Rapid Diver system for rescue work was to make a unit that would be compact enough to store in the rescue vehicle, be big enough to do the job and still be cost effective. My goal was to have the entire system fit into a Pelican case ready to dive.

Here are my suggestions,

Gas management, alternate air source, and bottle size:

I highly recommend the steel tanks either 27 cu ft as standard equipment for PSD use. These 27 cu ft tanks are the biggest tanks available for the Rapid Diver system. The steel tank has very favorable trim characteristics and we have had reports of over 30 minute bottom times in 30 feet or less. Like cave diving doctrine, I lean towards the rule of thirds. Most rescue scenerios should be in the 10-minute range, after that the situation moves towards recovery.

Other configurations:

1. The Back Pad is designed to hold a tank (80 cu ft) on the back. When configured this way the back tank becomes primary and the front is back up. Most dive scenarios involve removing occupants of boats and vehicles. Keeping the back clean of obstructions is especially useful when entering a vehicle underwater. The option of having a back mount tank on the Rapid Diver is advantageous if the situation calls for additional bottom time.

Redundant air options for the Rapid:

1. A 6 cu ft tank can be attached to the front tank bands beneath the tank. We have a special adapter for simple attachement of a 6 cu ft tank or a 13 cu ft tank below the main tank.

2. A 6 cu ft tank or 13 cu ft tank can also be used in a drop leg configuration off of the gear belt with our special gear belt.

3. A Router box with LP quick connects can be attached on the tank. This configuration gives maximum redundancy because it allows you to connect any available air supply including surface supplied.

4. Or....Side mount the tank/s. Simple side mounting is very effective with Rapid Diver. The side mount configuration allows you to still keep the back free but still have the extra cu ft (80 alums work well).

5. So....If more life support is needed and extended duration is now required (rescue turns into recovery operation) The Rapid Diver Back Pad can accommodate the 50/80/100/120 cu ft tanks. A special router block with a low pressure quick connect allows for the quick addition of any life support available, even surface supplied.

The Rapid Diver is tactical in nature; you can configure the unit depending on the situation.

Environmental exposure:
I dive with a dry suit approx. 6 months a year and they work great with the Rapid Diver. There are many fairly inexpensive quick donning front entry dry suits available.

Last edited:
IMG_2603.jpg

Aqua Lung Rapid Diver PRO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom