Roddenberry Dive Team Comic-Con 2010 Dive and Trip giveaway!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jridg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Join the Roddenberry Dive Team at La Jolla Shores for this year's Comic-Con dive! July 22nd 2010 - early birds can begin arriving at 0530!

See details below or follow this LINK! Comic-Con 2010 Dive

Vacation to Hawaii giveaway! - 9pm on 23 July

Dive details:

Thursday, July 22, 2010; 5:30am or 8:30
Comic-Con Dive (a.k.a. Donuts, Diving & Discovery)
La Jolla Shores, La Jolla, CA

COMIC CON DIVE
“Come Boldly Explore the Underwater Universe at La Jolla Shores!”

presented by

RODDENBERRY DIVE TEAM & DIVE CALIFORNIA

WHERE: La Jolla Shores

DATE: July 22rd, 2010 (First Day of Comic-Con)

TIME: 5:30 Early Bird Gathering - 8:30am Dive Time!

To all Scuba Divers and Ocean Lovers traveling to San Diego for this years Comic-Con event, come join the Roddenberry Dive Team, Power Scuba and The Whiskey Divers for a morning of adventure as we dive La Jolla’s Underwater Ecological Preserve. Generally, as scuba divers, we never need an excuse to go diving but in this particular case we’ve joined forces to provide our out-of-town aquatic brethren an unforgettable dive opportunity. PLEASE RSVP

DONUTS & COFFEE: For the early birds; a few of us will be arriving at La Jolla Shores (next to “Kellog Park&#8221:wink: around 5:30am to enjoy the sights and sounds of the ocean as the sun pours onto the pacific (Sunrise = 5:56 am). Coffee, Donuts and Muffins will be available to the first 50 (approx) people that arrive. We plan on gathering at one of the beach-side fire-pits for a bit of warmth and camaraderie. (If you have extras chairs and are willing to bring them, please do so for our out of town guests).

DIVING & DISCOVERY: Around 7:30 am Scuba Divers will begin suiting up for our adventure to the La Jolla Underwater Canyon. Once geared-up and ready, we’ll do a surface-swim out about 100 yards to where the depth is approximately 40+ feet. After a final buddy/gear check, we’ll descend to bottom where we’ll continue west to a maximum depth of 100’. From there, each buddy team, while monitoring their depth, time and air, will explore this magnificent underwater realm and gradually work their way east back to th e shore.

DIVE GEAR/RENTALS: The La Jolla Shore water temperature ranges from the low 50‘s at depth to the high 60‘s at the surface. 7mm wetsuits or Drysuits are recommended. ALL dive gear (including Tanks & Weights) must be brought with you as there will be no rentals available on site. However, gear rental are available prior 7/22/10 from local dive shops. If renting, remember to call ahead and reserve your gear and pick it up the day before (7/21/10).

Dive California is offering some great deals! All out of state residents joining us for this event will get 50% off all rental gear (with ID verification). All Roddenberry Dive Team Members will get a free air-fill as well as a 30% discount on their $50 air-fill card (Special $35). They will also be raffling a pair of APS Mantaray Fins at the event!

PARKING: La Jolla Shores has an extremely convenient parking lot located next to the beach and only a few yards from where we’ll be gathering and doing our dives. The cross-streets are “Calle Frescota” & “Camino del Oro”.

PLEASE RSVP: If you are planning on attending this event, please send at email to: diveteam@roddenberry.com with your Name,Email, Phone Number so we may contact you about last minute changes, should there be any. Also, in an effort to improve our services and future programs, please also let us know if you are bringing your own Scuba Gear or if you are renting it and if so, from what dive facility. Thank you for your help!

Hawaii Trip giveaway details:
Thursday, July 23, 2010; 9:00pm
"Shore Leave to Hawaii Giveaway" - Enter and Win Contest
La Jolla Shores, La Jolla, CA

Shore Leave to Hawaii Give-Away

Enter-to-win a week long vacation on the beautiful island of Oahu by becoming a Roddenberry Dive Team Member and Fan!!! Trip includes round trip airfare for two (2) on Hawaiian Airlines from any of their cities of carriage in California and a seven (7) day stay at the Royal Aloha Vacation Club in Waikiki.

Enter to win by becoming a RDT member, signing up for our newsletter on RoddenberryDiveTeam.com or adding us on Facebook. Dive Team member, newsletter subscribers, Facebook friends will all be entered to win. One entry per person, and the winner will be chosen at random at the San Diego Comic Con Mixer (July 23, 2010) at 9pm PST!

Trip giveaway presented by Hawaii Magazine (hawaiimagazine.com) and the Oahu Visitors Bureau (visit-oahu.com).

More Details to Come!

Note: Current RDT members, newsletter recipients and facebook fans are automatically entered.

Last edited:
Change to the trip giveaway!

The trip drawing will now occur on Friday, the 23rd of July at 9pm during the Comic-Con Mixer sponsored by the RDT. (Wouldn't that be a great thing to win on my birthday :wink: )

Details for the mixer will be forthcoming :)

Hey all! Now that the World Oceans Day trip is behind us, who's coming to the Comic-Con dive? I plan on being there EARLY!! :( as close to 0530 as my tired body will allow. It promises to be a good time. :D

I don't have confirmation of the special guest - yet - but from what I heard being discussed on the boat yesterday, it's going to be a good time!

So, who's in!?

Hey, Jim, the World Oceans Day event was great... I love diving the northern Channel Islands because they are so different from Catalina. Send me an image of that nudi that looks like a Dendronotus iris... I have my glasses on now!

Hey all! Please remember to RSVP to diveteam@roddenberry.com for this event. This is a NO COST event for those who want to show up and dive or show up and chat and hang out! It was a lot of fun last year, and promises to be an amazing time again this year!

:D

Hope to see a BUNCH of fans at the Comic-Con dive! This is a great way to meet the core team from the Roddenberry Dive Team! :D

It is 100% worth making the early morning trip to the Shores! We will be suiting up around 8:30 for those who don't want to show up at 5:30 :coffee:.

Please do not forget to RSVP to diveteam@roddenberry.com

Thanks!!

Had a great time and a great dive at La Jolla Shores yesterday AM.

Rod, Greg, and Kelly Hu were in attendance as well as a bunch of very hardy early morning divers. The comaraderie was capped off with a very cool dive at the Shores. Critters sighted included Giant Sea Bass, Bat Ray, octopus, Navanax and other nudibranchs, the typical fishes we also see at the Shores.

Last night we also had a great event at the West Coast Tavern with some good food followed by a screening of The Cove - WOW - a powerful movie that is a MUST see - it is very disturbing, but important!

Sigh, I hope you gave Kelly a big hug from Dr. Bill... even if she resisted and said "Who the heck is Dr. Bill?" At least I could live vicariously!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom