Rebreather model choices...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhoward1

Reaction score
I have recently been trawling the web looking at various rebreathers. I am looking for somewhere I can get a comprehensive comparison survey on the current models. I have seen CIS-Lunar, CCR2000, Inspiration, PrismTOPAZ and Draeger,and Ex-Military models. I need to know if the extra cost of some of these units over the other are worth the price, have extra safety features,greather versatility,cost of service etc. etc... Can anybody help, or point me in the right direction???

Justin, I would suggest that you obtain and read the "Simple Guide to Rebreather Diving" by Steve Barsky, Mike Ward and Mark Thurlow. You can get a copy from Best Publishing (http://www.bestpub.com/general.html). This book will give you the good, the bad and the ugly about rebreathers, semi-closed circuit and closed circuit. The book also goes over several of the current and older models in the market.
RonC.

Thanks for the info... Just what I was looking for!

Justin,
I have the same dilemma, I am currently looking at Prizm or CCR2000. MK 15/16 variants are just too expensive.

"Buddy Ispiration" from AP Valves is out of picture for me because of unfavorable stats (8 or 12 known death's) while diving with them.

CCR2000 looks like a better "packaged" rebreather. Anybody else has any thoughts about this ?

Michael

I wanted to step in and interject on AP Valves behalf.

1) 8 - 12 Deaths diving these CCR's.
You will find quite a few deaths have occured diving other brands of CCR's including CIS Lunar and CCR 2000.

2) Safety features?
What exactley are you looking for? I have found the best safety feature is the person diving the CCR.

3) Things to "NOT" do with a CCR.
How about anything that you "aren't" trained to do. Such as, dive Trimix when you haven't taken the "Trimix CCR" course.

4) I don't recall Ricks last name, but he is all over the IANTD Rebreather section of their website. Diving a CIS Lunar he had some serious problems, where he almost became a statistic diving that CCR.

5) Why am I so defensive? I own a Buddy. Simple and computerized. I haven't done alot research on other rebreathers, I stopped when I saw the CCR 2000 could operate at an altitude of 14000 Ft and a Depth of 2000FSW. My buddy operates between 14000 Ft and 300FSW according AP Valves. But I would trust it with my life to 500FSW.

6) At $5500.00, dual processors, 3xO2 sencors and up to nine hours worth of canster to breath from, you can't beat it. Just don't get creative and follow the rules and your training.

7) Remember, When you get a CCR certification you are a weeny!, when you have 200 hours on your unit you are promoted to novice.

8) In my opinion, if you don't think like this you could kill yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom