Can someone explain a rebreather to me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There isn't much on the internet that explains in detail how these things work.

Something about how when you exhale your gas goes in one direction through these things called Onion valves. From the onion valve it goes through a corrupted hose that leads to an intravenous bag. From this bag it then travels into kitter litter. Becareful not to re-use your kitty litter as its full of particles that are NOT chocolate snacks. The purpose of the kitty litter is to remove your exhaled Nitrous Oxide.

Once the Nitrous Oxide is removed the remaining electrons that weren't used by your body is analyzed. If the electrons are a couple fries short of happy meal this thing called a Solidifier releases more electrons. From here the sum of all electrons, with no Nitrous Oxide present, then moves into another corrupted hose. This takes it to the other intravenous bag which is right before the final onion valve.

At this point the diver inhales again and takes in more electrons and the whole process repeats.

Some equipment used in normal scuba is also used in rebreathers from what I have read. Tanks, one plastic and one silicon...each with about 1300 pubic meters of space inside. In case there is a problem you can always make sure you get off of the lollipop and use traditional scuba. This procedure is called Flailing About. Divers use a well hung 1300 pubic meter tank on their left or right side. If they find the electrons are at a suitable level within the lollipop they may chose to go back on the lollipop and off of traditional scuba. This is called going back on the lollipop.

That's it for now.

You've got WAY too much free time on your hands. Why don't you leave the frozen tundra up there and come diving with us down here in Florida. My daughter heads back to college in a week so her Sport Kiss is waiting for you!!!! :)

Doug

P.S. It was great to see you at the CCR summit at the Florida Dive Show.

Hi Doug,

I need to do that, I'm growing ever impatient with the climate here. I would own a CCR by now if it was different. Speaking of, it was nice to see you again as well. I'm attending my last pool session next weekend and then well...it's time to make a decision. :wink: Ron Benson is presenting all the major units..and get this, within 2 hours from my home. Imagine that...how convenient!

------------

J

There is enough misrepresentation of rebreathers on the internet and this post is obviously full of misinformation that while some may find amusing, some who dont understand rebreathers may actually believe the poster.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH, uptight, blah blah blah, havent had sex in awhile...blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah :shakehead:

..... My daughter heads back to college in a week so her Sport Kiss is waiting for you!!!! :)

Jep gonna dive a chicks unit?? :rofl3:

sorry Jep - but thats funny :10:

The OP cracked me up. I thought "you gotta be kidding me" when I saw the title, then when I read the whole thing closely I pissed myself laughing.

Should sticky this post as an explanation of how RBs work.

Trollling relapse, Jason? :shakehead: You need a web break, Jason.
We need you to have one too, I'm afraid. :no

I knew it would be way over your head, jepuskar. Give up while you can.

Back
Top Bottom