Continuing Ed. On a byo CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobaChef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just a question for those who have built their own rebreathers. Since the majority of certifications are unit specific, how do you continue your training on a home built breather if it no longer fits in any specific brand?

Just a question for those who have built their own rebreathers. Since the majority of certifications are unit specific, how do you continue your training on a home built breather if it no longer fits in any specific brand?

That is a good question and one I looked for an answer to several years ago. The answer I cam up with after talking to several scuba agencies was this. All scuba certification is underwritten by insurance companies. They calculate the risks involved in activities and assign a cost based on that risk. The answer to your question is there are no reputable agencies who will offer any level of certification on a homebuilt rebreather. There are just too many variables in quality control, lack of documented testing and materials that would make an agency comfortable with putting their name on a card.
One agency I won't name has purchased rebreathers from several different manufacturers. Modified to the point that they are no longer identifiable as the original and issued cert cards. The founder of this specific agency had very little experience with CCR and came up with a very convoluted and likely dangerous system. It appears due to lack of support this scary system has gone away.
The cowboy days of backyard rebreather diving are past us now and thatnkfully so.
Having said all that I think there is a lot to be gained by the knowledge one aquires when designing and building a diving machine. I used to think anyone smart enough to build their own breather doesn't "need no stinking badges" but time and experience, has cured me of that notion.
I think if its time for con Ed then its time for a better rebreather.

Yep, that's pretty much where I thought it stood.

and I totally agree that the education you get from building and modifying your own unit is just amazing.

Look for the commercial unit that is closest to the one you built, rent it and take the class. This may also mean you have to be certified un the rental unit first.

1. Get certified on a commercial unit at the basic/Mod 1 level.

2. Become buddies with a CCR instructor and dive a lot with him/her on both the commercial unit and your home build.

3. Progress to the point where you are doing deep/deco/trimix dives on the home built unit with the instructor/buddy if you can get him/her to go along.

4. Then ask your buddy to certify you to Mod 2 or normoxic CCR or the like. Advanced certifications are not unit specific. If you've been lucky enough to have this instructor dive with you often enough to have already shown that you have the requisite skills, there is no additional liability for him to certify you (for the appropriate fee) at the advanced level whether you have used your home build or a commercial unit.

Chances of all this happening? Slim to none.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

1. Get certified on a commercial unit at the basic/Mod 1 level.

2. Become buddies with a CCR instructor and dive a lot with him/her on both the commercial unit and your home build.

3. Progress to the point where you are doing deep/deco/trimix dives on the home built unit with the instructor/buddy if you can get him/her to go along.

4. Then ask your buddy to certify you to Mod 2 or normoxic CCR or the like. Advanced certifications are not unit specific. If you've been lucky enough to have this instructor dive with you often enough to have already shown that you have the requisite skills, there is no additional liability for him to certify you (for the appropriate fee) at the advanced level whether you have used your home build or a commercial unit.

Chances of all this happening? Slim to none.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

This actually is close to my own circumstances. I should clarify a bit. I got my Mod 1 on an Inspo Classic. Since I dive OC with a DIR setup, I wanted to configure it as closely as possible with GUE standards. So with my instructor's oversight I pulled the unit apart and rebuilt it in a G-Box with Halcyon bp/w and ATS back mounted counterlungs, Hollis BOV and it just kinda kept on going till I ended up with a reasonable clone of a GUE spec JJ.

It was when we put new electronics that it occurred to me that my Inspo was no longer an Inspo.

i'm covered for when I decide to move forward, but it got me curious about what other people do, which of course led me here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom