Puzzeling over a fitting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have just gotten a BOV for my Prism2. I am wanting to plumb it into my sidemounted bailouts,... however I want a locking quick disconnect so that I do not have to constantly take the hose off by wrench. Right now I am wanting to use a quick disscontect with a check valve to prevent water from entering the hose, because I frequently put my bailouts on when in the water. The problem arises that the check valve fitting is a 9/16" male, as is the end of the hose coming off the BOV, that's nto working out at all well:D. There is not enough room at the BOV to put QD at the BOV fitting (barely enough room to get the hose on). Right now my idea is to cleanly route the hose from the BOV to terminate in the male end of the QD (has the check valve) & have the female part of the QD attached to a very short reg hose that is connected to the 1st stage- fittings are proper on that end. My problem is the 9/16" male/ male ends.... I'm needing to find a 9/16 female/ female coupler,.. but can't find any such animal for reulator hoses. Any ideas???? The piece on the left is what I want to attach to the BOV side (because of the check valve position & the piece on the right is what I want to connect to the hose coming off the 1st stage.
QD.jpg

Te simplest solution I can think of is lop off the male end of the BOV hose and replace it with a 9/16 female fitting. That should attach cleanly to the check valve/qd. Either Narked or Golem carries them, but can't remember off the top of my head.

hope that helps

I have the female end(check valve) of the Omniswivel quick connect mounted directly to my bailout regulator, the male end(no check valve) on the regulator end of the hose. It's a simple matter to plug the hose in after clipping in the tank. A couple of little adapters were required to make it work out, all available from Dive Gear Express. I don't see any problem with a little water coming into the BOV if it's connected underwater. If you want pictures or the exact parts I used, I can do that.

I never found a 9/16F to 9/16F connector either, but I rigged mine (Evo) with a Y-block that had two 9/16F ports, and used the third port to go to my manifold via a shut-off....so I could have the BOV connected either to the BO bottle or the manifold/DIL.

I have the parts to do what you want. My Omniswivel male QD check valve terminates in a 3/8" male thread. There is an adapter which goes from 3/8" female to 9/16" female. The third piece is the 3/8" female to 9/16" male which attaches to the regulator end of the LP hose. The whole thing is sort of clunky, which is probably why I never bothered to switch over from the simple male QD adapter. If you can't find the pieces, PM me and we'll work something out.

(Now that I think about it, I originally wanted the male end of the QD on the regulator just because it has a lower profile, but it won't work there because the gas flow is in the wrong direction. Then I went out and found the middle adapter.)

The neatest solution for the male QD with the 3/8" thread looks to be a 3/8 female/female adapter I just found on the Golum site. It will screw directly onto the hose, with the QD screwing into it. I will be using this on my own rig.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2015 at 07:40 PM ----------

Tammy realized that the 9/16"-3/8" female/female adapter is all she will need to make it work, it will just be oriented in the opposite direction from the way I had it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom