Bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neilstewart

Contributor
Reaction score
I had a short Drager trial in a pool on Sunday. I was expecting some bouyancy trouble and am used to being able to slightly adjust bouyancy by breathing in open circuit - of course this does not work with re-breather. Are there any tips for re-breather bouyancy control, I am thinking of taking a course this May.

Neil

Hi Neil,

I am in no way an expert, just had a chance to test drive one in a pool as well. What the instructor told me was the only thing that really changed was how you handle negative bouyancy. I was instructed to breath out of my nose and let the air escape if I wanted to negativley trim my bouyancy using my breath, it seemed to work for me. The lost gas would be made up by the system. Breath adjusted pos bouyancy was no different. Fun toy, just hope they come down in price and complexity but until then I am going to stick to my old system.

That is only valid for an scr... CCR divers want to maintain loop volume at all times.. You learn to swim around things instead of over things..
You can make very minor adjustments by altering your breathing but its very small and its opposite that of OC.. The breathing bag expands easier than your chest so exhaling makes you "slightly" more positive, inhalling fully makes you slight more negatiive.
Also with an SCR you breathing bag is always at max (or close to it) so buoyancy doesn't change when ascending, on a CCR you dive with minimum loop volume so adjustments must be made when ascending otherwise you will quickly become very positive while ascending..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom