Another Ebay scam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DepthCharge

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
DepthCharge:
Looks like another Inspiration scam going on Ebay :bluthinki ... the $999 opening price ... :no
Well, it does reflect the actual value of an Inspiration rather well ... :bash:

:joke:

DepthCharge:
Looks like another Inspiration scam going on Ebay

Thanks for the tip, DepthCharge!!!! Being as I have not much else to entertain me on a Friday in Baghdad, I think I will have some fun here. Have you ever heard of scamming the scammer?

OK, lets send him a little email:

Sent: Thu 12/16/2004 12:13PM (Baghdad time)
To: arizonaphaz
Subject: Question about payment for item #7121908316 - Brand new Inspiration Closed Circuit

Dear arizonaphaz,

Hi Thats a good price for your Inspiration. This price will definitely make it easier to get certified on a closed circuit rebreather. How do I pay for it? How about shipping?

Thank you,
[deleted]

OK, he takes the bait!

To: [deleted]
Cc:
Subject: - Brand new Inspiration Closed Circuit
Date: December 17, 2004
Time: 00:52:21 Asia/Kuwait

Dear sir

The Inspiration Closed Circuit are Brand new in 2 year waranty.The price it's 999$ and i will pay for shipping taxess.The payment must be done online to me via western union, to find an
agent or send money online pls visit www.westernunion.com
This are the payment details:
name: PAT SHOEMAKE
adress:4250 east cotton blvd
city PHOENIX
state:Arizon
zip cod:85040
After you made the transfer pls send me the following informations:
1. 10 digit MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number):
2. Exact sender's name on file with Western Union:
3. Your street address on file with Western Union:
4. City and country where you sent the money from:
5. Amount sent:
The shipping will take 2-3 days via UPS.
Besst Regards

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Easier than ever with enhanced search. Learn more.

His e-mail header shows that he is coming from an AOL dialup IP address
Message-ID: <20041216215222.67836.qmail@web61205.mail.yahoo.com>
Received: from [172.181.120.120] by web61205.mail.yahoo.com via HTTP; Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:52:21 PST

I looked up his address on USPS and Mapquest with the same result: that address does not exist in Phoenix, Arizona. You think he doesn't want anyone to pay him a visit, now, go figure!

Let's see, what should I do now.....

1. Send him an e-mail asking for his real address and phone number?
2. Ask him to do the transaction through an escrow service?
3. Win the bid and report it to Ebay abuse?

It sounds to me like he is offering to do a side deal not through eBay and that is against the rules and you probably report him now.

Besides, doesn't eBay tell people to NOT pay by Western Union?

Yikes!!! People are bidding on that! I would not even consider sending that kind of money to someone with a zero rating! Weird stuff going on. Had one myself, but opposite. I advertised (in a reputable journal) one of my harps for sale (I'm a professional harpist).

Got a call (on relay of all things) from (he said) someone in Canada. Said they wanted to buy the harp, would send money. No mone, no money... kept calling to say it was on the way... (always used a relay service, I had no way to contact them)... I sold the harp to someone else... :)

Few days later, get a bank check for several thousand more than the asking price. (no names or return address, postmarked out of the country) Faxed a copy of the bank check to the bank.. sure enough... it was a fraud. Guess they were planning on asking me for the 'change'..... TOO BAD!! He called and asked, told him the harp was gone and his money was worthless.... sigh... sometimes I just work beyond my blond status! :)

And ya... I would report the guy to ebay.. not everyone thinks things through... Unlike you and me :wink:

this is interesting. i sent the message and just got this.

The original message was received at Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:27:03 -0800
from sj-v3conta08.sjc.ebay.com [10.6.189.185]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<arizona_phaz@yahoo.com>
(reason: 550 5.7.1 <arizona_phaz@yahoo.com>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed [66.135.197.23])

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to fallback-mx.vip.ebay.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 5.7.1 <arizona_phaz@yahoo.com>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed [66.135.197.23]
550 5.1.1 <arizona_phaz@yahoo.com>... User unknown
<<< 503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)

I reported the item # to Ebay customer support as probably fraudulent. I still haven't had my fun with this guy. I think I am going to give him a MTCN number so that he at least makes a fool of himself at the local Western Union counter.

Stand by...

Make him sweat....

I sent this request for more info....

Could you send me the measurements of the shoulder straps and the length/width of the unit please?

thanks, cowdog

Back
Top Bottom