Shipping Scrubber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDownDave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello - I'm diving Chuuk Lagoon in June '15 aboard the Odyssey. I've had several people tell me that I should consider shipping my scrubber material and rebreather rather than checking it with the airlines.

I'm sure someone has done this before and would like to know how did it work out. Names of shipping companies would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Could you just order the scrubber material from one of the larger online shops, such as Dive Gear Express, and let them deal with the details of shipping it? I wouldn't let my rebreather out of my sight, though.

Yea, having the rebreather out of my sight for that long makes me nervous too. Having the scrubber shipped directly from the online shop is an idea to consider. I'll keep it in mind.

With my Prism2, the head, sorb canister & H-frame fit very nicely in a standard carry- on with the controller, disassembled loop hoses, counterlungs & DSV. I tuck the hoses & lungs along side the unit inside the carry-on. The wing & backplate had to be checked. I took it to Bonaire as a carry-on all the way there & back. Never left my sight. Don't know if that will work for yours, or not, but is an idea.

All of my friends are carrying their rebreather on the plane with them.

We had a group of 12 people 2 years ago heading to Truk and staying at the Truk Stop. We were all rebreather divers. One of us had to ship his Inspo, the rest of us were able to take our units as carry-on. His unit was delayed by 2 days!

Well, a two day delay to get my rebreather simply wouldn't do. Everyone else so far has had good luck with taking their rebreather as a carry on so I'll definitely look into that. The only thing that scares me is if the cabin bins are full then they'll want me to check it in. The carry on won't protect it like my hard case will....hmmm.

Thanks ya'll

Remember the magic words when they want you to check you carry-on and they will make another traveler check their bag instead.

Fragile - Life Support Equipment

Dsix36 has a very good point. I had a black sunbrella cover made for my rEvo and had the Nat Geo logo and the words 'DEEP WATER LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM' silk screened onto it and this seems to 'awe' the TSA :). No problem carrying it on

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom