liveaboard from Israel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffdiver1

Registered
Reaction score
Where I not going to be in Israel already I probably wouldn't do it this way but...since I am- I need to book with an Israeli co. that will get me to Sharm. a couple of the operators listed in previous threads are emailing me schedules- you don't get the choice of as many boats as you would if you did it from a english dive oprator. I don't want to arrange my own transfers from Eilat to Sharm so that's the reason for this.

Basically there is a 5 day liveaboard aboard Gubal
Day 1 Suez, Carnatic, Yellowfish reef
Day 2 Giannis D., Ulysses, Shag Rock
Day 3 SS Thislegorm, Big Crack
Day 4 Ras Mohammed
Day 5 Tiran Island

Cost $590

6 Day aboard Sea Queen1
Day 1 Safaga, Paorama Reef, Umm Hal Hal
Day 2 Elphinstone Reef, Wadi Gamal, Shab Sharm
Day 3 Shab Sharm, Elphinstone Reef, Safaga
Day 4 Abu Gafan, Shab El Erg
Day 5 Gubal Island Rosalie Moller, Ulysses, Beacon Rock
Day 6 Ras Mohammed

Cost $1000

So the question is what is the better boat and better itinerary?

Also, Nitrox is a $6 extra per tank- is it worth it?

I like the bottom itinerary much better. Elphinstone is my favorite dive. It is similar to Ras Mohammed, but much bigger and with fewer divers.

What you are looking for is a transfer company. One in Egypt that I know is Blue Sky Travel. Their website is www.blueskygroup.net

You can get to Sharm on your own. I have done this alone a number of times, most recently last year. As soon as you cross into Taba, you can't miss the fleet of Peugeot wagons that belong to the taxi drivers. There are always other people that will share a taxi. Most of them are going to Dahab, so you would pay a little extra to get to Sharm. Or you could take the bus which takes longer. I hope this is helpful?

Thanks for your input, really it's very helpful. It now appears from the dive co. that sent me that is now only offering a 4 day trip similar to the 5 day but Less. Maybe I can get to Sharm on my own, but is it the day the boat goes out, etc. and i don't feel I have the luxury of time to **** around. That's why I want an outfitter and truly it's unbelieveable to me that it is easier to do this from london than from israel. I am getting frustrated at this process and maybe i'll look into doing it ala carte. but I'd hate to plunk down a $1,000 and miss the boat!

In any case what boats did you use, if any ?

thanks Jeff

DesertEagle:
I like the bottom itinerary much better. Elphinstone is my favorite dive. It is similar to Ras Mohammed, but much bigger and with fewer divers.

What you are looking for is a transfer company. One in Egypt that I know is Blue Sky Travel. Their website is www.blueskygroup.net

You can get to Sharm on your own. I have done this alone a number of times, most recently last year. As soon as you cross into Taba, you can't miss the fleet of Peugeot wagons that belong to the taxi drivers. There are always other people that will share a taxi. Most of them are going to Dahab, so you would pay a little extra to get to Sharm. Or you could take the bus which takes longer. I hope this is helpful?

I agree with you. It is much easier from the UK. I used Regal Diving when I went to El Gouna and Marsa Alam 5 years ago. Regal arranged for all the transfers. Another advantage is that if there is a problem with the boat, they can get you on another boat.

I ahve decided to give up on a book in advance liveaboard. It is jsut too cumbersome in planning and time it will take to get to Marsa Alam I figure I'd have to plan on adding 2 days on either end to get from Tel Aviv to Marsa Alam. It just seems so incredibly easy from the UK. The only fully outfitted trip I got an offer from in Eilat was thru Nemo divers @$485 for a 4 day trip + Egyptian visa, Israeli exit tax $25, equipment 100, light 28, tips 20 so all told about $700 for a measley 4 days diving on a boat of unknown (to me) pedigree boat is from company Seaqueen.

So now the question is where would you go to get wet Eilat, Aqauba (and I could go to Petra) or Egypt - and with whom.

Thanks for all the help - keep it coming.

DesertEagle:
I agree with you. It is much easier from the UK. I used Regal Diving when I went to El Gouna and Marsa Alam 5 years ago. Regal arranged for all the transfers. Another advantage is that if there is a problem with the boat, they can get you on another boat.

I just booked with Nemo for their five-day on August 9th. I have been in regular contact with them for about a month now, and I have liked how they have treated me thus far. As to the price...I am bringing my own gear, which means that I cut out 150 from the expenses. So, 590 for five days of food, beverages, double stateroom, air, weights and belt, plus the 25 for exit fees and 25 for tips. It doesn't sound all bad to me.

Gear rentals and air fills from land are almost that expensive ($7 fill X 4 dives a day, plus $20 for gear, plus food, plus a hotel or hostel), all without a dive master...I think that I am happy with my choice to stick with the charter operation. I will post more info on it when I get back in late August. It seems that not many people here know much about Nemo. I should be able to make some comments at the end of it all.

When are you going to be in Israel? My buddy and I will be there from the 6th of July - 20th of August, diving for only the last two weeks (5th-20th). Always happy to find a new dive buddy.

Garret

Hey Garret,

I actually don't even think $700 for the 4 days diving is a bad deal- not a great deal either- but as I researched Red Sea diving I really wanted to go to the south, and some of the boats that leave from Marsa Alam look simply amazing, truly luxurious (I know it's no measure of competency, great safe, diving, but they look awesome) and it is so easy to do it from London! (unfortuantely I live in CA so getting to london is no short puddle hop.) This trip is not only a dive trip for me so I'm unable/unwilling to schlepp gear (maybe just a computer, mask& light). Too bad I'll have left Israel when you're on your dive trip- my dates are July 13-30. Are you getting your Egypt visa here or there? Is there any truth that the visa you get at Taba won't allow you to dive Ras Mohammed? Are you going to tell Nemo that when he sends his emails the fish gets in the way of reading the text or should I? Where is your dig?

Jeff

winomonkey:
I just booked with Nemo for their five-day on August 9th. I have been in regular contact with them for about a month now, and I have liked how they have treated me thus far. As to the price...I am bringing my own gear, which means that I cut out 150 from the expenses. So, 590 for five days of food, beverages, double stateroom, air, weights and belt, plus the 25 for exit fees and 25 for tips. It doesn't sound all bad to me.

Gear rentals and air fills from land are almost that expensive ($7 fill X 4 dives a day, plus $20 for gear, plus food, plus a hotel or hostel), all without a dive master...I think that I am happy with my choice to stick with the charter operation. I will post more info on it when I get back in late August. It seems that not many people here know much about Nemo. I should be able to make some comments at the end of it all.

When are you going to be in Israel? My buddy and I will be there from the 6th of July - 20th of August, diving for only the last two weeks (5th-20th). Always happy to find a new dive buddy.

Garret

Yeah - the fish in the email is rather annoying. I haven't taken it upon myself to tell them about it yet.

As for the other stuff...I will be getting a visa in Israel the day before I go diving. It has been recommended to me by two other people, so I figure that there might be some merit to their claims. As to it being valid at Ras Mohammed, I don't know. I have heard rumors that visas for Israel-Egypt travel aren't good to get you through the entire country. I cannot say for sure about that, though. It may be something that needs to be looked into. Perhaps he Egyptian Consulate's website has more information.

I hear you on the problem of bringing dive gear over there...I will be schlepping it around for four weeks before I actually get to dive with it. However, once I get to the kibbutz I should have a safe place to keep all of my stuff, so I won't have to carry it everywhere that i go. I will be digging at Tel es Safi, and staying somewhere about 20-40 minutes away (I have forgotten the name of the kibbutz where I will be staying). Well, happy diving. Let me know how diving is in the south, and what you think of the operators. I will do the same with Nemo.

Ciao,
Garret

Jeff, get your visa at the local Egyptian consulate- if there is one. If not, you can get one from the consulate in NY. It takes about a week, including return postage. You can download the application online. Mail it with a money order for $15 and a return pre-paid envelope.

The visa you get when you enter Taba from Eilat is for eastern Sinai. It does NOT include Ras Mohammed. Garret is probably referring to the full Egyptian visa, available at the Embassy in Tel Aviv. Make sure it will be open if you want to get it there.

Visa for Egypt

Arriving at Taba without a Visa, one usually gets a 14-day tourist permit, that is valid only down to Sharm El Sheikh in the south (and Santa Catherina in the west).
With this type of visa, one can dive in Tiran but *NOT* in Ras Mohammed.

A better option would be to get a regular tourist Visa in advance. Usually it is valid for three months, for a stay of 30 days everywhere (OK, almost everywhere :wink: ) in Egypt, and can be extended if needed.
Issuing the visa can take time- depending on the country where it is being issued. For example, in Tel Aviv it takes an average of 7-10 days. Once I applied for a Visa in Katmandu, Nepal, and in Nairobi, Kenya and it took me almost six-eight weeks to get it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom