Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diving in Hurghada

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    I agree with you on this one. However not everyone agrees with us, hence the controversy.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

i know a great boat with great great equipement with a very experienced instructor wit very good prices,i had several dives with him and he's great,if u r interested reply on my e-mail it's eshra14@yahoo.com,

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Thanks, I'll send you a mail in a short while.

Thanks also to Tamas, I've checked out the site and they're on my list of people to talk to.

New User

Has not set a "status"

We dove in Hurghada in November. I definitely would rate it way below Cozumel, Honduras, Belize. Reefs in Hurghada are very damaged. It is painful to watch. Try to go to National Park sites around Little Giftun. Extra fee. Try to skip windy days. Most of the boats congregate on few leeward sites. There is more divers in the water than fish. They keep heads open so it is not unusual to see feces floating around and a lot of toilet paper.
    Most dive shops use slow boats and bus you to the port. It takes 8 hours out of your day to do 2 boat dives.
    El Mina wreck is worthwhile and is easy to access. I saw a school of about 30 lionfish hovering around the bow.
    In my opinion diving in Hurgada is good for doing OW and the first 10 dives after. Otherwise it is rather painful.
    We dove with New Dino dive shop. The shop you use would depend largely on where is your hotel located.
    Good luck but do not expect much. Egypt sucks in general even if you do not get diarrhea.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Responding to Tkoles. Wow, it seems like you were either really unlucky or had a dive centre that just took you to the worst places. It's a shame you had such a bad time of it as the diving in Egypt can be fantastic.

I have personally logged well over 200 dives in Egypt (the majority in Sharm El Sheikh area but a fair number in Hurghada) and still rate Egypt above most of the places I have dived in the Caribbean (although I admit I haven't dived some of the places you mention in comparison).

Yes they do use slow boats and they make a day of the diving with typically quite long dives (60 minutes plus in many cases, I have personally carried out dives up to 80 minutes by prior agreement) and long surface intervals to maximise time on the second dive. Have lunch on the boat, sunbathe or whatever. I personally find this a great way to dive.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Thanks to everyone who gave us info and tips for the trip. We've just got back and had a great time. In the end we dived with Twins Diving Centre who were great and couldn't be more helpfull. I'll be posting something about them over the next few days.

Divemaster
    Badge

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    I am from Egypt and have been diving there since 1994. I do agree that the reefs are deteriorating in some areas due to nearly the 2.6 Million Divers coming to the Red Sea every year. Still, there are still some nice dives but they are more appealing to the Advanced Divers. Generally, you need more alive reefs, go South and avoid Hurghada and Sharm.
    I am glad to know that "Rockinrobin" had good times and hopefully, he will be back.
    Mr. Fix :scubadive
    --------------------------------------
    "If you don't live on the edge, you are taking too much space"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12