Red Sea (Sinai) Security

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CmbtApl

Reaction score
I have scheduled a trip to Sharm el Sheikh and Dahab beginning May 9. While reviewing info on the DAN website, they describe the possibility of anti-Western demonstrations especially around May 15, Bedouin unrest, as well as extremist activity in Sinai. I read on one of the Dahab hotel websites the story about their hotel in the Dahab area being occupied by Bedouin extremists and the owners and staff are in hiding.

What is the security situation in Dahab and Sharm el Sheikh?

What is being done to address the problems and prevent further hotel occupations?

What should I (as an American) do to avoid difficulties while there?

I know this can be a difficult subject to address, but I would appreciate clarification of the situation from the diving community if possible.

Thank you.

This kind of Bedouin occupation you mentioned has nothing to do with tourism. It's personal issues between Bedouins and non-Bedouins' property owners.

Nothing new regarding the security situation in Sinai (Dahab and Sharm).

As an American, you should do nothing to avoid difficulties in Sinai! Nothing is done against Americans.

This kind of Bedouin occupation you mentioned has nothing to do with tourism. It's personal issues between Bedouins and non-Bedouins' property owners.

Nothing new regarding the security situation in Sinai (Dahab and Sharm).

As an American, you should do nothing to avoid difficulties in Sinai! Nothing is done against Americans.

I agree. If anything, Americans are welcomed more than any other!!!

Its as safe as where you live.

You take precautions when crossing the road at home, you do the same in Egypt.

There are no issues with any nationality. All are welcome, as is the way with such great people.

Treat them with the same respect you accord guests in your house and you will have a brilliant time.

Felt safer in the Sinai than I do in east London on a Friday night after a skin-full of beer and a very strong curry!

Really agree with the above. I feel safer here in Sharm than I feel back in the UK (apart from the taxi drivers who since they got new taxis dive at breakneck speeds!)

Dahab also has no problems and as long as you respect the locals you will find them generally friendly ad helpful.

Enjoy your trip.

Dahab and Sharm and all Egypt is safe for any nationality and all people are more than welcome to come to Egypt and have a nice time. As Belushi said. The precaustions that you take in Egypt are the same and natural precaustions you take in anywhere else, may be even less.

Just got back from Dahab on Friday - didn't notice anything untoward - There is a tourist police presence like everywhere in Egypt - but never felt threatened. In the hotel we were staying in i never felt any tensions between the Bedouin and non - all seemed to hang out together at the dive shop drinking tea etc. The police know where all the tourists are staying and when you are leaving - i really felt safe - you will not find many other americans when you are there though - doesn't seem to have been discovered by the americans yet!

Im currently sitting in nice coffee house drinking Italian coffee and the atmosphere is relaxing.

If there is tension here, then I cannot see it, and I just cycled through the old town.

All I need to do know is get up the motivation to go look for a job ....

Well, maybe tomorrow ... Insh'allah!

I just returned from Dahab. We spent a week there plus another week in and around Cairo. We had absolutely no problems with anything. The people were superb; the dive center was marvelous; and the diving was even better. There is a lot of security presence just about everywhere in Egypt and that is fairly normal.... We felt secure both in Dahab and in Cairo. Thanks for your reassurances before we left.... they were spot on.

Fantastic!!

Glad we could help

Back
Top Bottom