Sharm!Sharm!Sharm! What about Hurghada or Dahab?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evilclown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
if i've never been to the red sea and i only have 3 days to dive then what should it be?
Sharm!Sharm!Sharm! Is all i hear. What about Hurghada or Dahab.
Also mostly likely will not go back for at least 2 years.
thanks

Sharm is a big destination for sun and fun seekers, so naturally you'll get lots of information about it. Dahab is more laid back, much smaller and the diving isn't quite as spectacular, though still very good. Having been to Sharm many times and seen it deteriorate, I would choose Dahab now.
Avoid Hurghada. It's a dump.

And don't forget Safaga, Quseir and Marsa Alam.
There is an international airport in Marsa Alam, so it's getting more and more busy. But it's quite a nice place for diving, Elfinstone is close from this small city.
Safaga is 2 or 3 hours driving from Hurgada ( edit : much shorter in fact...) . The Salem Express sank there.
Quseir is about 3-4 hours from Hurgada, so it's probably too far for your 3 days trip.

Last edited:
Dahab is more laid back than Sharm and Hurghada. The majority of diving there is shore diving. The advantage over Sharm and Hurghada is that almost every site has its own topology. The number of fish is less than Sharm and Hurghada though.

Hurghada is the same as Sharm; a big city. However, diving wise, Sharm is better.

BTW, Safaga is only 60 KM south of Hurghada so it's like 45 minutes not 2 or 3 hours.

Yep, sorry...
I haven't been to the Red Sea since 5 years now ( Brothers Daedalus Elfinstone : wow !).
3 hours to Quseir and 5 to Marsa Alam. Is this correct ?
Marsa Alam is almost 300 KM from Hurghada. Quseir is around 200 KM from Hurghada.

However, it's not about distances. It's about operation and the requested vacation type. If you're a hardcore diver (which is what I suggest :)), then you choose live-aboard trips like the one you mentioned.

+1 for Dahab,

Awesome dives, and small enough to be cool and laid back..:balloons:

+1 for Dahab too. For dives, food and the laid-back, relaxed holidays.

Sharm: Garbage atphomsere, ****ty food, russians everywhere, but good boat diving and chances of spotting bif things even in the local sites. Normally very good visibility. Since you will the most of your time on the diveboat (08.00-17.00 incl transport bla bla) after a shower and a beer, it will be 19.00 before you go down to naama and eat. By 23.00 you will be sleeping. Thay way you avoid the crappy atmosphere anyway.

Atmosphere: ****
Dives: good to very good
Prices: a bit steep, but mostly due to higher operational costs
Overall: 3rd choice in the red sea

EL Gouna: Disneyland-feeling. few expensive resorts with reletively high standards. Not alot of hasssle, due to the fact that the hall "town" is closed for outsiders so to speak.
Boat dives all day (08-17) with a wast variety of good divespots that are not as busy as sharm/hurghada. Mostly for older people and couples. (Not a big party-scene, just ome pubs... the irish pub i guess is the most lively)

Atmosphere: Quiet and "up market"
Diving: Very Good.
Prices: As sharm

Dahab: Small, "everybody knows everybody". A bit more affected by religion. BAckpackers (none of the big tour operators send people here. Small independednt hotels/restaurant (except for one hilton). More young people, majority from USA, Canada, Australia. Some Egyptians on holiday, scandinaivians, germans, dutch. Small but good nightlife, 3-5 good restaurants.
Diving: Good Value, shore dives, nice rocks, walls, coral gardens, blue hole. LAcks big marine life though. Big unicorns, trioggers, blue sp. stingrays, crocs... but I have never seen eagle ray, manta ray or shark there. El Gouna and Sharm is better for these things.

Atmosphere: layd back, "backpacker light", young, nice mix of nationalities, hippie.
Diving: Shore, great geologi, normally goood vix, but can be windy and create surface currents, bad viuz and exclude some of the sites due to entry/exit.
Prices: Great value.

My favourit is Dahab condiering all factors. But I would easily go to Sharm and El Gouna aswell. Its hard to compare....

But: For you: (only a couple of days, not going bacj for 2 years....) I would say: Sharm if you want to go mainstream, and Dahab if you like to be alittle "off track"...

Have a nice trip anyway

Sharm: Garbage atphomsere, ****ty food, russians everywhere, but good boat diving and chances of spotting biG things also on the local sites. Normally very good visibility. Since you will spend the most of your time on the diveboat anyway, (08.00-17.00 incl transport bla bla), after a shower and a beer, it will be 19.00 before you go down to naama and eat. By 23.00 you will be sleeping. Thay way you avoid the crappy atmosphere anyway.

Atmosphere: ****
Dives: good to very good
Prices: a bit steep, but mostly due to higher operational costs
Overall: My 3rd choice in Egypt

EL Gouna: Disneyland-feeling. few expensive resorts with reletively high standards. Not alot of hasssle, due to the fact that the hall "town" is closed for outsiders so to speak.
Boat dives all day (08-17) with a wast variety of good divespots that are not as busy as sharm/hurghada. Mostly for older people and couples. (Not a big party-scene, just ome pubs... the irish pub i guess is the most lively)

Atmosphere: Quiet and "up market"
Diving: Very Good.
Prices: As sharm
Overall: My 2nd choice in Egypt.

Dahab: Small, "everybody knows everybody". A bit more affected by religion. Backpackers (none of the big tour operators send people here. Small independent hotels/restaurants (except for one Hilton). More young people, majority from USA, Canada, Australia and tthe UK. Many expats that lives in Cairo comes here for diving/hangigng out. Some Egyptians on holiday, scandinaivians, germans, dutch. Small but good nightlife, 3-5 good restaurants.
Diving: Good Value, shore dives, nice rocks, walls, coral gardens, blue hole. Lacks big marine life though. Big unicorns, trioggers, blue sp. stingrays, crocs... but I have never seen eagle ray, manta ray or shark there. El Gouna and Sharm is better for these things.

Atmosphere: layd back, "backpacker light", young, nice mix of nationalities, hippie.
Diving: Shore, great geologi, normally good viz, but can be windy and create surface currents, bad viz, and exclude some of the sites due to entry/exit.
Prices: Great value.

My favourit is Dahab condiering all factors. But I would easily go to Sharm and El Gouna aswell. Its hard to compare....

But: For you: (only a couple of days, not going back for 2 years....) I would say: Sharm if you want to go mainstream, and Dahab if you like to be alittle "off track"...

Hurgahda and Marsa Alam: I havent been there, but I have never heard anything good about Hurghada.
Have a nice trip wher ever you choose to go :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom