Loss of life yesterday in Sharm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seanpaul

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just heard through an Instructor friend in Sharm we very tragically lost a lady diver yesterday (also DM or Instructor level?). Anybody have any more news on it? I realize this should be in Accidents however I put it here first to see if anyone knows.

Just got some more information, long time instructor out on a fun dive. Ended up with a 28 oxygen tank thinking it was air. She died going toxic.

Didn't we just have someone out here talking about the 28 Nitrox on the Thistlegorm???

Just got some more information, long time instructor out on a fun dive. Ended up with a 28 oxygen tank thinking it was air. She died going toxic.

Didn't we just have someone out here talking about the 28 Nitrox on the Thistlegorm???

How do you go toxic at 30m max on EAN28? PO2 should never exceed 1.2. I'm confused?

Hmm. Unless there were 2 fatalities in the area this could be the same incident.
A female german instructor from sharm was killed at the Blue Hole (Dahab) 2 days ago apparently on a 60m dive. Lung over expansion a possible factor. They were part of a group of sharm consisting of a mix of recreational and technical divers. (I was there at the time)

Might be the same incident with the usual "fog of war" confusing details.

For those who are familiar with these 28 Subex - what are the markings on the tanks normally?

For those who are familiar with these 28 Subex - what are the markings on the tanks normally?

All the Subex tanks ive seen are steel dumpy 12s with just Subex stickers on them. Nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe they dont use EAN28 for all dives (ive seen them at the Canyon and Blue Hole mainly). Cant see what relevence the markings have to the thread though.

As String said, it's the same incident. I know that because the incident-reporting responsible of Dahab was in Cairo for a vacation and they can't find someone to replace him!

Its ok - we have the CDWS to keep us safe. Currently have tasked 4 policemen to make sure a dive centre stays closed. It didnt have the required 60 tanks mandated by CDWS guidelines so obviously needs armed assistance to keep it closed to protect the public.

All the Subex tanks ive seen are steel dumpy 12s with just Subex stickers on them. Nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe they dont use EAN28 for all dives (ive seen them at the Canyon and Blue Hole mainly). Cant see what relevence the markings have to the thread though.

I was just wondering if it would be easy to confuse air with a 28 is all. Your answer implies not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom