Red Sea Aggressor Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexandra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Although I booked with the Red Sea Aggressor I should point out that the ship was not ready so we ended up diving aboard the M/Y Voyager instead.

Week 1: we did the deep south route (going all the way to St John's Reef)
Week 2: we did the northern route to Brothers and Daedalus reefs

Travel:
I chose to fly to Hurghada instead of Marsa Alam as there are a lot more flight options. I chose Turkish Airlines because there was only one connection in Istanbul (only one chance for my baggages to get lost). Although the connection was long, I ended up going to a lounge and it was not that bad at all. I highly recommend doing that - either you get in for free with an Amex card or you can pay $25 which is totally worth it.
I stay at the Hilton in Hurghada after landing and had a driver pick up me after lunch to drive me down to Port Ghalib. It was about a 2h30hr drive.

The Diving:
I preferred the southern route to the northern one but overall the diving was really nice. We unfortunately did not see any hammerheads but did see: other sharks, manta rays, a ton of blue spotted rays, octopus, turtles and a gzillion other fish. The reefs are in overall good condition and none of the dive sites were too crowded.

The Southern route we did 4-5 dives a day and the Northern route was 4 dives a day with no night dives.

Note - in late March early April, the water temps are not that warm, especially if you are doing 3-4-5 dives a day. In the south, the temps ranged from 75-78 and in the north from 73-75.

Here are my photos from the trip:
https://plus.google.com/photos/109594787951670682311/albums/6002943990897043985

The boat and crew:
Again, not being on board the actual Red Sea Aggressor it's hard for me to comment here. The boat we were on was very comfortable though, and the shared rooms well designed with beds side by side versus bunk beds. The showers actually had water pressure which was great for liveaboards.

A few things I'd recommend when going:
1. if you need a driver from Hurghada to Marsa Alam, I highly recommend Mohamed:
www.hurghadatransfer.comEmail: hurghadatransfer@yahoo.com
Phone: +201007355673

2. bring spares!! batteries for camera/computer/lights and spare o-rings

3. if you fly into Hurghada and need a hotel the Hilton by the airport is cheap and ok for 1 night, if you plan to spend the day or a few days there then stay at the Steingenberger Al Dau.
If you need a hotel in Port Ghalib the Intercontinental and Crown Hotel are on a gorgeous shared property and walking distance to the docks.

4. be sure to bring appropriate wetuits, 78ºF sounds warm unless you are diving all day and hoods/hooded vests make a huge difference

5. bring a few snacks like nuts, or granola bars for nibbles between meals. The boat certainly feeds you but sometimes between meals a little bite to eat makes a big difference.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Going there in October, sounds like the same flight itinerary. Turkish Airlines non-stops and pricing are good. Since we have an 8 hour layover in Istanbul, what was that lounge you had access to? Is it run by Turkish Air or Amex or would a United Club pass get you in? how late is it open to?

Thanks for the hotel info in Hurghada as well. I understand Agressor runs a bus from Hurghada to Port Ghalib which is what we plan to take. Did Agressor say when their boat was to be ready?

Fabulous photos! We were at Daedalus just a few days before you, saw 2-3 mantas on every dive. I see you enjoyed them too!

I flew into Marsa Alam and arrived without my luggage so I definitely +1 the Hurghada recommendation.

Didn't the Red Sea Aggressor just hit a reef and have to be towed back to port?

Didn't the Red Sea Aggressor just hit a reef and have to be towed back to port?

Wow, that sucks. This franchise has been really unlucky for their first few weeks.

Going there in October, ... I understand Agressor runs a bus from Hurghada to Port Ghalib which is what we plan to take ....?
Aggressor wanted to charge me far too much for their van from Hurghada to Port Gahalib; I found a reliable alternative 25% less expensive for the whole vehicle, so with 2 or more the per passenger price was far, far less than Aggressor price ... in the end, Aggressor offered me a reduced price for their transfer and I accepted it ... good thing because upon arrival at Port Gahlib there was no Aggressor boat and even the Aggressor guide who came with the driver of the van did not know the name of the substitute vessel!

I got an email with links to pics the week before. The boat was easy to find - as long as you had received that email.

Aggressor wanted to charge me far too much for their van from Hurghada to Port Gahalib; I found a reliable alternative 25% less expensive for the whole vehicle, so with 2 or more the per passenger price was far, far less than Aggressor price ... in the end, Aggressor offered me a reduced price for their transfer and I accepted it ... good thing because upon arrival at Port Gahlib there was no Aggressor boat and even the Aggressor guide who came with the driver of the van did not know the name of the substitute vessel!

Down2bizDiver...I had a similar experience regarding the Hurgada transfer. I was on the 12 April Red Sea Aggressor trip with my daughter and although we flew into Marsa Alam, our departure was out of Hurgada at 10:50AM on Saturday. We were on a domestic flight to Cairo.

The Aggressor travel people offered a price of US$57/person and suggested that we leave at 5:30AM. The very early departure was suggested because of possible traffic, checkpoints, etc. I told them that this was nonsense and arranged a car on my own while in Port Ghalib for US$60 (total, not per person...I never really have understood why private transfers are priced per person and not per vehicle) and left just before 7:00AM. We arrived in plenty of time and paid half the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom