Recommendations on diving operators in Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaijinsan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some recommendations for diving operators in Sharm. Will be there in September, looking to do a 3 day package. I've looked at possibly a hundred websites so I know there are plenty around and I'm sure some good and some bad.

Here are the key points I'm interested in:

-Good sized boats with easy ladder access from the sea

-Large enough operator that they're taking more than one group per day. I want to make sure we get both Ras Mohammed and Tiran, so don't want to leave it to chance that we just happen to hit a day when they're going. I don't necessarily have any specific dive sites at either location that I'm dying to see, somewhat open on that but we literally only have 3 days open that we can dive because of flying or driving to altitude already scheduled.

-Safe goes without saying

-Some flexibility in regular dives as long as my buddy and I follow the dive plan. I'm a photographer and I know not everyone in a group is, so we may lag behind at times.

First hand experiences of who I definitely should be considering and who I should definitely avoid would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

regardless of names and suggestions, I advise that you contact the diving center ahead with your requirements especially having a day at ras Mo and another at tiran and see what their schedule is. Also most diving centers will require you do a check dive before heading to either locations.

Thanks Solly, good idea. I'm sending out emails now, I'm not sure if it's too far in advance for them to have schedules yet (1st week in September) but will see. I've heard elsewhere that Emperor has several boats and usually hits both areas daily but they seem to be about the only one not offering a discounted 3 day package. About €30 more than other supposedly good operators.

I did see also that most recommend (or even require) check dives. Just so they'll do it on the day of our first package day that's fine. Seems like SOP for many of the ones I've looked at. We have basically zero time to do it otherwise since we'll come in from Dahab late the evening before starting our package. Both will have log entries from Dahab and Japan within 30 days (where conditions are FAR rougher than the Red Sea) so should satisfy the log book requirements at least.

Ocean college are doing a special deal 3 days £90. I have dived with them before and decent size operator or try Sinai divers which are much the same

Thanks Solly, good idea. I'm sending out emails now, I'm not sure if it's too far in advance for them to have schedules yet (1st week in September) but will see. I've heard elsewhere that Emperor has several boats and usually hits both areas daily but they seem to be about the only one not offering a discounted 3 day package. About €30 more than other supposedly good operators.

I did see also that most recommend (or even require) check dives. Just so they'll do it on the day of our first package day that's fine. Seems like SOP for many of the ones I've looked at. We have basically zero time to do it otherwise since we'll come in from Dahab late the evening before starting our package. Both will have log entries from Dahab and Japan within 30 days (where conditions are FAR rougher than the Red Sea) so should satisfy the log book requirements at least.

For multiple boats, it all depends on the number of divers, haven't been recently to sharm but don't think numbers are that much for multiple boats.
Of course they will check your log and certificate but they will not let you in water except with the check dive, last time I was in sharm, dove with oonas, what they did as we were on tight schedule as yours and needed one day n ras mo and one day in tiran is that we went to ras mo the first day, did the check dive on a dive site on the way to shark reef then the second dive was on shark reef (the guide had the full authority to change the second site if the outcome of check dive was not good, they do that as shark reef has usually strong currents and it is almost bottomless) and for tiran with its very strong currents the second day.

I haven't done any dives in sharm except with oonas and they are very good, organized and can accomodate your needs but you have to set the plan up with them ahead.

And yes, it might be too early to know what will be there in September but the dive center should have a note that by first week of September they have a customer that needs so and so, they should plan it either with their own operation or at least they can have backup plans with other operators.

Enjoy :)

For multiple boats, it all depends on the number of divers, haven't been recently to sharm but don't think numbers are that much for multiple boats.
Of course they will check your log and certificate but they will not let you in water except with the check dive, last time I was in sharm, dove with oonas, what they did as we were on tight schedule as yours and needed one day n ras mo and one day in tiran is that we went to ras mo the first day, did the check dive on a dive site on the way to shark reef then the second dive was on shark reef (the guide had the full authority to change the second site if the outcome of check dive was not good, they do that as shark reef has usually strong currents and it is almost bottomless) and for tiran with its very strong currents the second day.

I haven't done any dives in sharm except with oonas and they are very good, organized and can accomodate your needs but you have to set the plan up with them ahead.

And yes, it might be too early to know what will be there in September but the dive center should have a note that by first week of September they have a customer that needs so and so, they should plan it either with their own operation or at least they can have backup plans with other operators.

Enjoy :)

Thanks again Solly. Actually I was quite keen on Oonas but their 3 day package special expires Aug 31st, we're there first week of September. When I first emailed him back in June, at that time their special expired end of July, he said that August and September are busy season so wanted me to reserve at full price. I'll wait until next week and see if the special deadline rolls over again to end of September, which I suspect it will. I'm a bit torn between a few operators, Emperor gave me a really good price but for some really odd reason they won't do my partner's Nitrox course until the 2nd day, everyone else is more than happy to do it the first morning so we can both use Nitrox all 3 days, I'm a bit put off by this since they're perfectly ok to do it as a dry course if we weren't diving with them, so can't imagine the purpose of delaying until day 2 if we are diving with them.

Nearly all of them want to do "local" dives on the first day which I'm also not terribly excited about. I think the real deciding factor could be if someone is willing to do like what Oonas did with you, do the check dive on the way to Ras Mohammed so we can have all 3 days in prime locations.

I'm curious, when you did your "check dive" with Oonas, what where they looking for? Certainly understand weighting and buoyancy, but I've seen certain ones talking about doing Mask removal and replacement drills... I think I'm not the only one who absolutely hated that exercise during OW training and I sure as heck don't want to do it just for fun.

the traditional check is mask removal, regulator recovery and very basic things but oonas didnt do that, all the concern was related to buoyancy and managing yourself underwater due to the risk of bottomless shark reef and strong tiran currents. This was couple of years ago.
Ask for that, also I suggest your friend does the nitrox course online prior getting there, you still have time ! it is very simple and more informative other than practical. If you do so you can go with empror or check the oonas special package

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom