Worried about traveling to Sudan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fellows: I am considering a trip to Sudan in the middle of next year but I am concerned about the political situation there. I am not worried about my safety because I know that Sudanese people are very friendly and frankly I have lived in worse political chaos than Sudan. I am more concerned about American paranoia on the way back when I come to USA. I have been told that returning back from certain places into the US puts you on "watch list" for extended periods of time and once you visit certain countries like Afghanistan, Pakistan, Cuba, North Korea etc coming back into USA means that you would have to wait at airports until several background checks have been done on you etc. Visiting some nations puts a permanent stamp and every time you leave USA even for other international destinations coming back into USA would mean waiting for hours at the airport because your previous travel list included places such as SUUUUU DAAAAA NNNN!!!!

If there are American citizens who have visited Sudan, I would love to hear from them if they have had to endure additional security checks or other such hassles.

I was in Sudan nearly a little over two years ago (just a liveaboard in/out of Port Sudan), and have never had a problem returning from that trip or any other with the Sudanese visa on my passport. I did go to Israel later on that trip and they asked me lots of questions, but never a question from the US

aziz hi ... as you know my back ground ,this comes from "being told by a few in the know " yes you will be put on a watch list but if its the only "suspect " country you go to i wouldnt worry about it ,,,, but then again in time of global terr high budgets every agency wants to substantiate its existence .....you never know what "no such agency " (nsa) is doing ....if its not great diving id pass ..............just my 2 cents .............steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom