Red Sea Visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

comcomtech

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Could any of you give me a good idea of current visibility in Sharm, Dahab and Marsa?

Visibility is a crucial factor for a video project. I've called a dozen dive shops and most were clueless.

Thanks.

Have been diving on day boats out of Port Ghalib last week. Great weather, blue skies, wind out at sea manageable, calm at the moorings, temp 30°C, sea 27°C. night 20°C, wearing a 5mm long suit.

We have been diving Abu Saile, Abu Dabbab Reef, Marsa Shoni and visibility was good. Marsa Imabarak not so great we were diving the north side and the Dugong was spotted south we were told by the neighboring boat, our captain took some of our group to the site in the RIB and missed it.

Best dive was at Shoni both N. and S. stonefish , crocodile fish. stingrays, morays, barracudas, turtles large ones and again the others seen a couple of white tip reef sharks.

Last Thur, Fri, Sat the marina was heaving with live-aboards I counted at least a dozen , changing guests, embarking utilities, fueling up and the gas station making a fortune at $ 1,28 per liter. There was a good atmosphere about in the Port.

I was staying at the Marina Lodge if that is of interest, great hotel for divers and diving with Colona Divers, they have 2 boats in the marina.

Happy diving to all of you.

Port Ghalib is on my list, diverLux. Could you tell me what your typical visibility was in metres or feet?

The further away from the shore and the deeper the bottom the better the visibility, sorry I can't be more precise we had all our dives in relative shallows 20 m with sandy bottoms. Try to get to Om Osaiel it's ashore dive, awesome erg full of life and great visibility, about 10 km south of Port Ghalib I went there last May diving with Seaworld Diving Center.

I was on the Red Sea Agressor last week out of Port Ghalib. Up to 25m vis was about the best we had. Winds were rather high later in the week, almost straight out of the north. Significant surf over the reefs resulted in quite a bit of stuff getting washed into the water column.

Thanks get7to3. We put on trip on hold following other reports as well that visibility was less than we hoped. A dive operator in Dahab said 15 m. Dive operators in Sharm said 20 m, 25 m and 30 m. Many could not--or did not wish to--give specific numbers.

I am looking for 30 m or better in soft coral sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom