Anyone interested in creating a Saudi expat-diver Scuba Board group?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeddah Aquanaut

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi there, this is for any expat divers still left here in Saudi Arabia. There are not many left at the moment, but I was wondering if any of you would be interested in forming a group here on the Board? Whether it be for discussing issues of diving here in Saudi, buddying up, keeping up our spirits, keeping informed of events as they happen here, etc. With the recent events in Yanbu and Khobar, these are trying times, and sometimes it helps to have a circle of support, much like everyone on SB is in general, but Saudi-expat specific. I'm told they need 10 people to form a group. Please let me know. Cheers!

I think it's a great idea, above all as I am slightly whacky preferring to go to the more remote locations in the KSA.

I'm planning a trip up to Um Lujj (1 1/2 hours north of Yanbu) sometime this month and as far as I am concerned the more the merrier, guys and gals, camping, barbies and even music. We really need some normality in these times.

I have already taken 2 trips to Al Wajh and found nothing but outrageous hospitality and stupendous, virgin coral.

Great suggestion, let's try and make it a reality.

All the best mate,

Abu K

AbuK:
I think it's a great idea, above all as I am slightly whacky preferring to go to the more remote locations in the KSA.

I'm planning a trip up to Um Lujj (1 1/2 hours north of Yanbu) sometime this month and as far as I am concerned the more the merrier, guys and gals, camping, barbies and even music. We really need some normality in these times.

I have already taken 2 trips to Al Wajh and found nothing but outrageous hospitality and stupendous, virgin coral.

Great suggestion, let's try and make it a reality.

All the best mate,

Abu K

Oh well, with Abu K, that makes four of us. Himself, me, myself and I. Some things were just not meant to be. No problem...

Hi JA

As I'm in the area every once in a while, I'll be sure to look in if you get the group going. :eek:gle:

JA,

What happened to a bit of good old optimism mate! I reckon the reason you have had so few replies is because not many divers in Saudi use Scubaboard, I'm gonna send the hyperlink to DSD and all the divers I know who use the internet.

Got back from an awesome weekend in Yenbu last Friday, 3 grey reef sharks, 2 white tip, 2 silver tip, 1 black tip and 4 hammerheads the largest of which was at least 3m! Also 4 Napoleon, a 1m Najil, masses of barracuda of all sizes, a turtle........

So Umm Lujj? Early July?

laters,

Abu K

We have quite an active dive group here in Dhahran and we come go to Jeddah/Yanbu at least once a month. We have been thinking of going to Umm Lujj. Unfortunately we can only go December this year.

What are the currents like that time of the year? Any other info about that area?

I can surely get a few divers to join a Saudi Expat divers scuba board group.

Sorry for the delayed response, actually had ro do some work here!

I am now off to Yenbu this Fri and hoping to hit Um Lujj next Wednesday (1 Sept), returning to Jeddah Saturday. The aim is to try and hire a fishing boat in Um Lujj so that we can explore the waters around Jebal Hassan. This is a large mountainous island clearly visible from the coastal road and looks to be no more than 1 km from the shore.

I shall update you as to the conditions etc.

Incidentally a whale shark was spotted in Yenbu, 4 days ago. Couldn't believe it considering the current water temp

Sundune, if you're interested I have also dived at Al Wajh and am planning a tour up north - Dibba, Khuraybah, Maqna and Haql!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom