Is there any good diving near Tel Aviv?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic_diver45

Contributor
Reaction score
This is yet another case of me getting an idea in my head and going balls out for it, but this one is going to potentially put me in the line of fire: I'm volunteering to work with Magen David Adom Ambulance in Israel next summer (pending my ability to learn enough Hebrew to function- wish me luck!) and I've been told the beaches in Tel Aviv (where I am hoping they place me) are very pretty (I was looking at pictures online). I was wondering if there is good diving in that area? I'm especially interested in wreck diving, but I'd like to hear any suggestions for "must dive" dive spots that people have. I've not seen much about diving in the Eastern Mediterranean (spelling?) in dive magazines, what little I have seen pictures of is up by Greece and Italy.

Also if anyone has any suggestions about traveling to Israel (things to do (other than some of the more obvious tourist locations), travel advice, etc) please feel free to pass it along. My parents think I have lost my mind, the priest at my church (I'm Episcopalian- the fact that I volunteered seem to surprise the people from Magen David Adom, apparently they don't get many non-Jewish volunteers) is offering to start a collection to purchase me a high quality bullet proof vest, and I think my fiancee' already knew I'd jump at the chance to do something like this so it (at least from what I can tell) didn't shock her too badly. Thanks and I look forward to hearing what people have to say.

-Steve

Steve,

I'm an American that has been living here in Tel Aviv for the past two years.
I can relate with what your saying......family and friends think your nuts for coming here, you get comments like "get yourself a bullet proof vest"..."keep your head down"..."don't take the bus". I will say this.....there is no question that this country has issues but I have found that it's pretty easy living here and I do like it here.
The TV reports only the bad stuff so that's all everybody hears. Tel Aviv is just like any other sea side city. The beaches are nice and very busy on weekends in the summer, they have great sunsets and there is always something going on in the city until wee hours in the morning There is a lot to do here and so many sites to see in Israel, Jordan and Egypt...too many to list but if you have any question on places/ sites feel free to ask and I will pass along any information I can give.
South of Tel Aviv is desert and it is beauitful.....lots to see and lots of places to hike.
North of Tel Aviv is a lot more green.....rushing rivers, waterfalls and loads of swimming holes, hiking and biking in this area is great. Places not to miss are the Dead Sea, Masada, Sea of Galilee, Rosh Ha'kinra (sp?), Petra in Jordan and of course Egypt. There are loads of ruins in these areas that are worth checking out.....the best thing to do is get yourself a yearly park pass as most of these places charge a park fee and the yearly pass quickly becomes worth the money.
Like I said too many place to list!
Israel doesn't see many American tourist with the security issues here and that's why it might be a surprise to the people from Magen David Adom.
I recently did my divemaster course here in Tel Aviv. The diving here in Tel Aviv is not good....there are some spots up north but for the most part people go to Eilat (about 4 hours south from Tel Aviv). Personally, I like to cross the border and go into Egypt to Dahab. The diving in Dahab and Sharm is great and they both have amazing dive sites. There are lots of threads about Dahab and Sharm that will tell you everything want to know. Diving in Israel you must have dive incurance..it's about 130 NIS and local law is no diving passed 30m.

Good Luck Steve and if I can be of more help please feel free to ask.

Lisa

As an Israeli who lives in Israel- I am a little biased.
The beaches in Tel Aviv are very pretty- probably the person who told you that meant about the girls that you can see there... :wink:
Seriously- there are lots of pretty beaches in Israel, and lots of nice wrecks- most of them suitable for sportive diving, although occasionally one can arrange technichal dives too.
I don't think there are too many good diving sites in Tel Aviv itself, the only wreck in the area that I know is the 'Zeev Ha Yam', but there are many other great wrecks all along the Med Coast- most of them in about an hour's drive (or less) from Tel Aviv. There also good sites such as Rosh Ha Nikra where you can travel in the grottos topside (it is a touristic attraction) and also dive them...

Living in Israel- I have seen all these type of questions myself 'Do you wear bullet proof vests everyday', 'Do you see camels in the streets', etc. However, if you are going to work in Magen Daviv Adom (MDA) in Tel Aviv, be prepared mentally to cope with it- when the bad things happen, the ones that unfortunately you see in TV from time to time- there are high chances that you will see horrible things, worst than anything you have ever seen in TV. MDA ambulances are among the first to arrive at terror-attack scenes, and it is not an easy thing to see. Every person in Israel hopes for peaceful times and I wish for you (and everyone else) that you have a peaceful work at MDA.

More than that, I don't see living in Israel different than any other place. As you were told there are lots of things to do and see here- you won't get bored at all.

Jai Bar:
As an Israeli who lives in Israel- I am a little biased.
The beaches in Tel Aviv are very pretty- probably the person who told you that meant about the girls that you can see there... :wink:
Seriously- there are lots of pretty beaches in Israel, and lots of nice wrecks- most of them suitable for sportive diving, although occasionally one can arrange technichal dives too.
I don't think there are too many good diving sites in Tel Aviv itself, the only wreck in the area that I know is the 'Zeev Ha Yam', but there are many other great wrecks all along the Med Coast- most of them in about an hour's drive (or less) from Tel Aviv. There also good sites such as Rosh Ha Nikra where you can travel in the grottos topside (it is a touristic attraction) and also dive them...

Living in Israel- I have seen all these type of questions myself 'Do you wear bullet proof vests everyday', 'Do you see camels in the streets', etc. However, if you are going to work in Magen Daviv Adom (MDA) in Tel Aviv, be prepared mentally to cope with it- when the bad things happen, the ones that unfortunately you see in TV from time to time- there are high chances that you will see horrible things, worst than anything you have ever seen in TV. MDA ambulances are among the first to arrive at terror-attack scenes, and it is not an easy thing to see. Every person in Israel hopes for peaceful times and I wish for you (and everyone else) that you have a peaceful work at MDA.

More than that, I don't see living in Israel different than any other place. As you were told there are lots of things to do and see here- you won't get bored at all.

I've heard the girls on the beaches at Tel Aviv are quite a sight....but my fiancee would kill me if she heard me say that.

Sounds like there's a good number of things to see offshore (even if they aren't immediately at Tel Aviv). Any dive shops or charter services you recommend?

I hope things are quiet while I am there too. But part of why I am going over is to experience what it is like to be a medic in a place totally unlike my own- good and bad. I got into medicine to help others, pure and simple, and sometimes that means you have to deal with things that are less than pleasant (and at times down right abhorrent). I have nothing but the utmost respect for Israelis, especially the medics at MDA. The things that normal residents see all too frequently in Israel would drive the average American to drink (or worse).

The medics, well I have no idea how they deal with what they see on the scale and frequency they do. Here in the States, they like to make us talk about our feelings after bad calls and give us time off (I usually never take it- I've dealt with the results of pipe bombs and meth (clandestine drug) lab explosions and they don't bother me too bad. The only one that really bothered me (and bothers me to this day) was the accidental shooting death of a 12 year old boy).

We Americans like to think we're they toughest bunch around, but compared to most people, when it comes to tragedies, we're a bunch of friggin' pansies. We let it get to us and change us (which is the very point of terrorism- to cause you to live in fear). Look at what has happened after the events of 9-11....we're living in fear and it doesn't seem to be lessening. Like I said, we like to think we're the bad boys of the world, but when you get down to it, most of us are just scared little children.

I'm not afraid about going to Israel, not any more concerned than I would be if I were going to New York or Paris. I realize there are certain risks that I am taking and I have to be careful, but you can't let fear stop you from doing what is right. My mom doesn't know I already wear a bulletproof vest under my shirt when I work on the volunteer fire department running ambulance calls here....I'm more afraid of being assaulted or shot by one of the stupid rednecks around here than I am of being a victim of some Palestinean suicide bomber bent on destruction. That's just the way I look at things- right or wrong.

And I feel what is right, is to go and serve those who need care- regardless of their nationality, religion, politics, etc. It's as I used to tell EMT students, "You check your politics and personal feelings at the door when you put on the uniform of a medic. You can not let your personal judgements of a patient cloud your professional judgement. Every gets treated the same way- cop or criminal, sinner or saint." Nothing is for sure at this point in regards to my going (I have to come up with the money to go first of all and then I have to get OK'ed to participate in the program). IF I get to go, I think it will be an experience that will change me forever regardless of what I see or don't see. I'm rambling now, so I will shut up. Thank you for your advice.

Israel is a very small country, meaning you have short distanses to travel.
The nortern parts (where I live) are about 2 hours drive from Tel-Aviv and the city Haifa is about 1h.
There are meany wreck sites in both places, some were senk as divers atractions, others by thmselfs. The ones near Haifa I don't know that good, but on the north shors at a city calld "Naharia" you have an army missile boat, Tag boat, and two steam boats. You also have the "Rosh-Ha-Nikra" site that is a must see.
When you are in Israel, phone "Puzker" dive center in Naharia and they will be happy to give you all the info you need. (Tel 04-9929334).

hi Steve

you allerady got most of the relavent info from my friends here (and long ago, for that. I need to check this board more ofter). But if you reach our part of the woods, dont hesitate to drop me a line (email or PM) - and I may be able to help with specific questions and posibally a nice tour of old Jerusalem. One more option you may want to try is to log on to the israeli diving board, at http://www.tapuz.co.il/tapuzforum/main/forumpage.asp?id=216
most of the people that answerd here are active participance on that board, and ther are many, many others there. It's probably the best place to get dive partners and information in israel.

When will you actually get here?

Hi, Steve !

In Haifa there is a sunken WW2 Italian submarine Scire at ~34 meters.
Haven't dived it yet :) Haifa is 1 hour drive from Tel-Aviv.

In Tel-Aviv itself there is an "Electo-Dag" (electric fish) technical wreck at ~46 meters.

And, of course, Eilat and the Blue Hole in Dahab :)

See you here !

You can drop me a cell phone: 052-2395-732.

:11: Hi All,

I dived at japenese gardens eilat et taba coral islands, though I am in Eilat now 20 m is great, the furhter south the better thez say.
I am looking for 20 m around tel aviv next week form the 3rd until the 8th jan
BR
BC kohokid

Most of the dive sites in the Isreali Mediterranean are located in Haifa bay (100km north to Tel Aviv).
Most of the sites are wrecks, from 19th century ship to WWII submarine to recent sunk marine vessels, while others are reefs (not tropical ones).
Here are few links that might help:
http://www.technion.ac.il/~naftali/
http://www.tour-haifa.co.il/Eng/Vacation/diving.phtml

and from my website:
http://www.escapedia.com/scuba/israel/index_en.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom