Bombs in the Sinai !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SMC

Registered
Reaction score
As you may have heard last thursday (7 Okt) there were several bombings in the Sinai. News agancies here (Netherlands) think these attacks were mostly aimed at Israeli Tourists in the area since it's some kind of holiday for them now.

We are planning to go to Dahab in about a month for our dive holiday. Because of the bombings I'm am now a little hesitant whether we should go or not. We still haven't made our reservations. It was mainly tourist that were targeted in this attack (Hotels).

I really don't want to give into terrorist and am looking forward to our vacation but on the other hand, I really don't want to die :scared:

Any opinions on this ? Can i flush my vacationd down the drain ? :toilet

It's difficult to say. I talked today with my friends there - they say it strictly was directed against Israelis.
Mine attitude - but it's mine - is that I will not be threatened by such *******s. Communists didn't do that and they will not either.
Mania

Wait for a week or so, the prices will drop. Then book your holiday to Dahab at a discount :wink:

Unfortunately I've already booked my next week in Dahab, so I won't benefit from any price reductions.

I stayed in Taba this time last year at the Hyatt Regency, which is probably an hours drive from the Isralie border, where the Hilton is or was.
In the area of Taba which I stayed at you have 3 hotels of mainly european occupants.
Saying that! our hotel, from Fridays to Sundays became occupied with Isralies, so it came as no surprise that something of this nature happened, being so close to Isreal.
Personally I would still go, as the main tourist hotels are far away from Taba & security will be well tight, as I found it to be.
Go & make some bubbles!! :thumbs-up You'll be fine.

SMC:
I really don't want to give into terrorist and am looking forward to our vacation but on the other hand, I really don't want to die

I hate to buck the party line, but I think you're ignoring a few factors.

1. There's a war on. Whether you agree with it, hate it, support it, whatever, it doesn't care. It doesn't even care if you believe it exists or not. By the way, as far as the Islamists are concerned, Europeans are fair game. Remember?

2. Bombs are not addressed to Israelis. They are addressed "to whom it may concern". They are equal opportunity destroyers.

3. None of those people who were killed perceived any risk. The Israeli government had published warnings. Individuals in these hotels adopted the attitude expressed above, "you'll probably be ok. Go have a great time". They chose not to let terrorists dictate what they would and would not do. Oops.

4. Its a big world. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of beautiful dive destinations globally. Given this fact, why deliberately choose to book a vacation in a war zone? WTF are you thinking? Yeah, you can suffer random indignity in any tropical paradise, but you have a significantly reduced probability of encountering rocket propelled grenades in, say, Belize.

Do as you wish, but don't make decisions under the illusion that the war doesn't exist as far as you are concerned. You're a part of it, as far as they are concerned.

Bon voyage,

Doc

Doc Intrepid:
I hate to buck the party line, but I think you're ignoring a few

4. Its a big world. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of beautiful dive destinations globally. Given this fact, why deliberately choose to book a vacation in a war zone? WTF are you thinking? Yeah, you can suffer random indignity in any tropical paradise, but you have a significantly reduced probability of encountering rocket propelled grenades in, say, Belieze.

Doc

Same question I ask when I see these kind of posts...........

Thanx all for the replies....

I know that bombs and other awwfull stuff are indifferent to whomever they hurt. By my standards it's offcourse NOT ok to hurt anybody to get your views across, let me be absolutely clear about that. No matter whether your arabic, jewish,egyptian or whatever...

The problem is that we're on a pretty tight budget and egypt is the closest / cheapest divespot when traveling from the netherlands. Other spots are Turkey but they also has terrorist attacks so that would be choosing the least worse... Come to think of it the whole world is a warzone in these terrorist attacks. I guess your not save anywhere.

Again I agree as too not deliberately searching for danger but whos to say that the attacks are over... or not...

hmmm, i guess i'm not thinking very clear (at 05:11 AM) looking at the above. Hopefully my meaning / deleberation is clear. I think i'll keep on wondering what to do for the next week or so before we make our decision.

Thanx all

You know what I hate people doing this because they are not making anything good out of these actions. I really hate people doing this. I am a muslim and I am telling you that this is far away from what Isalm says. I have a rule my life which is don't talk about religion or politics, but I have to say this. This is not islam. Even if this is a war, it will be war aganist peace.
These bombing in Taba was targeting Israelis I know but there are many other people died with these Israelis, children, old, beautiful ladies, divers, Europeans, Egyptians, Americans, Christians, Muslims...etc Whatever these people are. they are human beings. They are living creatures that must feel safe. I am totaly agree with you if you don't come here for not feeling safe.

If you want to have a vacation diving in the Red Sea. Away from these and you want to feel safe. go to Hughada, Safagah or Marsa Aalam. These areas are away from the border of Israel and they are safe places. I prefer Safagah and Marsa Aalam. They are wonderful during this time of the year.

Thanks for your response, Gehadoski. Only the ignorant believe that Islam encourages atrocities such as these. I am not Muslim, but I don't like to see any religion, race, nationality or political affiliation branded indiscriminately because of the actions of a few crazies. I spent a wonderful week diving in Sharm el Sheik and Dahab last January and am about to book another week for the coming December. Am I nervous about it? No, not at all. As it happens, I traveled to Bali after the bombing there. Another Muslim country. Yet I traveled and dove all over the island for three weeks and have nothing but praise for the Balinese and the treatment I recieved. By the way, I'm American, and, along with Israelis should have the most reason to fear traveling to the Middle East. I look forward to returning to Egypt, just as I have for the past three trips I've made there.

Peace

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom