"Euro" vs. "North American" versions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
No, I'm not talking DIN vs. Yoke.

I wanted to order two set of Apeks regs and octos. I found a great price at a site in Spain for an ATX50/40 set ($385.89 shipped) then spoke with a retailer with a pretty good reputation about price-matching. He noted their wholesale price on the ATX50 was $323 then went on to explain that an ATX50 purchased from a European dealer would not be the same as one purchased in North America. It would have different parts, perhaps every single part, and would not be serviceable here. Any shop in America would completely refuse to touch it, anyway, since it was bought outside the authorized dealer network. I'd have to send it back to Spain for any repair or overhaul, paying shipping and duty each time. Obviously, he didn't want me to get it there. I actually ended up ordering ATX200/40 sets from him for about $20 more than the Spanish site's price (dunno why the price differential was so much smaller on that) primarily since the Spanish guys said none were available at the time and it was only a bit more than that place's price on the ATX50. (For grins I tried ordering the 50/40 set from the Spanish site later, and although it said they were in-stock I eventually hit a screen that said they had one set and I'd have to wait for the other.)

Obviously it's now a moot point, but I just can't believe there are disparate versions of these regs in different parts of the world. For one thing, enough divers here buy them all over that I think I would have heard of it. For another, it's made in Europe (well, from the point of view of all but the English) in the first place. Finally, I don't really believe a LDS would be able to tell where a reg was bought or that they would actually care that much. This guy nearly lost a sale since I dislike badmouthing as a sales tactic. I was especially touched by his claim I'd have to pay duty, since I know if I can prove the duty was previously paid it's not due on subsequent importations.

Any thoughts?

mstevens:
No, I'm not talking DIN vs. Yoke.

I wanted to order two set of Apeks regs and octos. I found a great price at a site in Spain for an ATX50/40 set ($385.89 shipped) then spoke with a retailer with a pretty good reputation about price-matching. He noted their wholesale price on the ATX50 was $323 then went on to explain that an ATX50 purchased from a European dealer would not be the same as one purchased in North America. It would have different parts, perhaps every single part, and would not be serviceable here. Any shop in America would completely refuse to touch it, anyway, since it was bought outside the authorized dealer network. I'd have to send it back to Spain for any repair or overhaul, paying shipping and duty each time. Obviously, he didn't want me to get it there. I actually ended up ordering ATX200/40 sets from him for about $20 more than the Spanish site's price (dunno why the price differential was so much smaller on that) primarily since the Spanish guys said none were available at the time and it was only a bit more than that place's price on the ATX50. (For grins I tried ordering the 50/40 set from the Spanish site later, and although it said they were in-stock I eventually hit a screen that said they had one set and I'd have to wait for the other.)

Obviously it's now a moot point, but I just can't believe there are disparate versions of these regs in different parts of the world. For one thing, enough divers here buy them all over that I think I would have heard of it. For another, it's made in Europe (well, from the point of view of all but the English) in the first place. Finally, I don't really believe a LDS would be able to tell where a reg was bought or that they would actually care that much. This guy nearly lost a sale since I dislike badmouthing as a sales tactic. I was especially touched by his claim I'd have to pay duty, since I know if I can prove the duty was previously paid it's not due on subsequent importations.

Any thoughts?

The europen and american versions of the APEKS regs are virtually identical.. The 1st stages are the same (for a while the only difference was the material of the o-rings), some of the second stages have 1 part that is different.. To get CE the change one part on the second (I dont think all models either) that slighlty reduces preformance but it is meant to reduce the chance of the second free flowing in cold water...

I'd have to pull out the service manuals to verify if all regs are involved.. BTW all my APEKS 1st stages are from europe.. The GERMAN versions are sometimes stamped with a different model number they would be identifiyable...

i've heard of lots of people ordering from diveinn, who are in spain, and getting their apeks serviced, in fact i'm looking at buying a new first stage from there myself..

The only and major problem is that European guarantee doesn't work in the States and the opposite.
Other than that generally there are not differences between Apekses - so the guy was not fair with you.
Our - European Apekses are made for 300 bars while some of the Us maybe only 200 bars - but that's something I'm not sure of.
Mania
PS. To be honest more than 300 US $ is still expensive - you can get DS4/TX50 here for not more that 300 $
Mania

My LDS mentioned to me that he has serviced some Apeks regs. that were purchased outside the U.S. and the parts were different. He had to have parts shipped from Europe which took a month or two to get here. An I wasn't shopping for Apeks stuff.

I haven't heard that one. Especially since Apeks are built in Europe.

My DS4 and ATX50 components all have the CE mark. They were purchased through the Canadian distributor, which is Aqualung Canada. So if there are non-CE components, maybe they are US-specific.

Daryl Morse:
My DS4 and ATX50 components all have the CE mark. They were purchased through the Canadian distributor, which is Aqualung Canada. So if there are non-CE components, maybe they are US-specific.

The CE mark actually has nothing to do with being Canadain or U.S or having specific parts. It relates to a European standard for quality control for pressurized equipment called PED.

http://ped.eurodyn.com/

Apparently not a very well controlled standard.

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/16_new_budget_regulators/1/

Both my ATX200 and at least one of my Luxfer AL80's have CE stamps. The reg came from the States and the bottle was purchased in Canada.

darkstar:
The CE mark actually has nothing to do with being Canadain or U.S or having specific parts. It relates to a European standard for quality control for pressurized equipment called PED.

http://ped.eurodyn.com/

Apparently not a very well controlled standard.

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/16_new_budget_regulators/1/

Both my ATX200 and at least one of my Luxfer AL80's have CE stamps. The reg came from the States and the bottle was purchased in Canada.
I know what the CE mark is. I've been indirectly involved in getting equipment tested against CE/PED/ATEX standards. I'm not sure why you would say it's not a well-controlled standard. PED/ATEX are very demanding standards and they are very expensive and onerous for a non-european company to comply with.

My point was a response to padiscubapro's comment that Apeks has US and European components. My regs have the CE mark, which could imply that Apeks is supplying the Canadian market with components manufactured for the European market. If Apeks has US specific components, they would not need to have the CE mark, because it's not a recognized standard in the USA. Do all Apeks regs purchased in the US through an authorized distributor have the CE mark?

Daryl Morse:
I know what the CE mark is. I've been indirectly involved in getting equipment tested against CE/PED/ATEX standards. I'm not sure why you would say it's not a well-controlled standard....

Didn't mean to offend. Just read your post the wrong way and got full of myself.

I wondered what the CE mark on my Apeks was and when I looked found the article from Rodales. According to them (and I know they are not the most reliable source) several lesser brands of regs stamped with CE failed the standard U.S. Navy and European tests. Obviously not a reliable sign of quality.

I'd bet that all Apeks regs are stamped with CE since they mention it on thier web site and it would cost them more to make each variation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom