which regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
ok looking for a new rig but dont to be honest want to spend arm and leg any good suggections want some thing that i will be comforatble down to 120 feet we do some wreke diving hear in NC thanks

This has been discussed for so many times...... Check previous threads first...you can and will surely find your info. that you are looking for.

but ok. Wanna have a good AND reliable AND cheap reg.? www.scubastore.com or www.simplyscuba.co.uk and buy your self a nice Apeks. For the kind of dives you wanna make : DS4-tx50 or little bit more expensieve but really not necessary the tx100.
I would nt personally go for the Apeks tx50-tx50. Get your self the DS4 version. For the discussion about the differences check previous mails (there alot of them).

Good luck.

Xerxes

Apex are nice regs, but for the cost of one, you can buy two Buechat VX-10's from LiesurePro.com. I love my Beuchat VX-10s. They breathe just as easy deep, as the do shallow. I use them for my left post rig in cave diving, and my main rig in OW. I also use ScubaPro Mk20/G250, and feel that the Beuchat breathes just as good as it. My buddy uses both an Apex ATX-200 and Beuchat VX-10's, and IMO again, they are very comparable in breathing.

Apex are nice regs, but for the cost of one, you can buy two Buechat VX-10's from LiesurePro.com

??? How much are the Buechat VX-10's ? The Apeks TX-50s are 235.00 from The Scuba Store. The Buechat VX-10 is 234.95 from Leisure Pro. I cant say anything about the Buechat reg's because I don't have any, but I do have Apeks reg's and they work great.
Kevin

Originally posted by Kevlar55
??? How much are the Buechat VX-10's ? The Apeks TX-50s are 235.00 from The Scuba Store. The Buechat VX-10 is 234.95 from Leisure Pro. I cant say anything about the Buechat reg's because I don't have any, but I do have Apeks reg's and they work great.
Kevin

I apologize Kevin. I was thinking of the ATX-200 when I made my post. Every price I have been quoted around here was at $700 for one. I just checked LiesurePro, and realized they sell the ATX-200 for $379.00. That is only a $145.00 difference. I was also thinking in terms of having to purchase the DIN adaptor from Apex which was $60. That would be a $205 differnce. I only dive DIN, and that was just added into my though process naturally. You can get the Beuchat in DIN for about the same price as the yoke. Sorry again for the confusion.

Hi

VX10 is a very good reg. But if i had to choose between VX10 and the DS4 i defenitly would go for the well know Apeks. VX10's parts are very hard to get. Other than that it is a great reg. i heard alot of good stories about it ......

Xerxes

when I think of Beuchat I think of free diving fins, when I think regs I think Apeks. TX-50/DS4 is a good choice, that's what I use for my primary. I use TX-40/DS4 for my backup and my stages. I bought them all from DiveInn.

Tom

I have owned and used Spiro Supra XL, ScubaPro MK 20/G 500, Apeks TX 100, Apeks TX 50, and Poseidon Odin/Jetstream. They all are great regulators with their own pros & cons.

Today I have kept and dive with the Apeks TX 50, regular and DS 4, with two TX 50 second stages (why have a lesser regulator as my backup???), and the Poseidon Odin/Jetstream's (two first stages with second stage's).

Niether the Apeks or Poseidon are in my experience prone to freezing during cold water diving. Some divers do however complain about ice crystals down their throat when using the Poseidons during cold water diving.

I tried one time to make my TX 100's freeze during the very end of a winter dive in Scandinavia. After several hard attempts, the second stage finally froze and started a slow and moderate free flow. It was however fairly easy to stop. After the surface intervall, both the first and second stage's where litterally covered with a thick layer of ice & snow (very windy and moist/snowy air), and all I had to do was to bang out the ice from the second stage's, and the regulator worked flawlessly.

To me, that was a good verification of Apeks ability in cold water diving.

There are offcourse more fine regulators on the market, but with my limited experience, I tend to rely on these two brands.

Sincerely

Anders :)

Hi

i like to add a comment on your message. My first reg was a Mares Abbys and all the time i was complaining about the cold air in my mouth / throat but back in the time then i did nt know anything abouth regs.... and noone was really listening (my instructor was selling Mares Abbys so he tryed to make a fool of me when i told him abouth it)
I always thought that a membrane reg. breathes warmer then a piston like SP's. Thit is defenitly not true!

"Some divers do however complain about ice crystals down their throat when using the Poseidons during cold water diving."

(I heard this also from a friend of my. He uses also sometimes his fullface mask with his Poseidons and sometimes complains.)

This is also the case with Mares Abbys! So be warned! About this matter in my exprience: SP is better then Mares and Apeks is better then SP(MK20-S600)! Even when you are breathing with it with 2 persons at the same time at a depth of 22meters (which is abouth 65ft, 9degrees celcius in the winter at night) and breathing both upwards!!

Really i have nt seen any better reg. than the Apeks ATX200 yet!

Have fun, Xerxes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom