Aeris Atmos Sport Regulator vs OCEANIC ALPHA 8 SPORT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDawg007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
He Gang,

I`m about to be certified, and have been looking at equipment that I can afford.
The Aeris Atmos Sport Regulator, and the OCEANIC ALPHA 8 SPORT seem to be in my price range. For you guys that own them, or have used them, which did you think was best and why?

I`m thinking that the OCEANIC will be easer, and cheaper to maintain, but that may not be true. Of course ease of breathing is certainly a consideration.

Thanks....
ScubaDawg007 :D

ScubaDawg007:
He Gang,

I`m about to be certified, and have been looking at equipment that I can afford.
The Aeris Atmos Sport Regulator, and the OCEANIC ALPHA 8 SPORT seem to be in my price range. For you guys that own them, or have used them, which did you think was best and why?

I`m thinking that the OCEANIC will be easer, and cheaper to maintain, but that may not be true. Of course ease of breathing is certainly a consideration.

Thanks....
ScubaDawg007 :D

Should not be any difference in maintainance. We charge the same rate to our customers that got either from us... $39.95 and parts are free for life... And as far as the differences, the Aeris has a very nice swivel on the 1st stage, which is either real nice, or a "failure point" depending on what posts you want to read here... for me... it's real nice!

scubatoys:
Should not be any difference in maintainance. We charge the same rate to our customers that got either from us... $39.95 and parts are free for life... And as far as the differences, the Aeris has a very nice swivel on the 1st stage, which is either real nice, or a "failure point" depending on what posts you want to read here... for me... it's real nice!

Thanks for responding Larry! Well, it looks like I`ll just have to flip a coin on this one.
That`s a toss scubatoys will win either way. I just happened to buy all our start up gear from your store. Well worth the drive, tons of cool stuff to check out.

ScubaDawg007

scubatoys:

Larry,

The swivel on that reg drives me nuts. It swivels into a position that constantly pulls on the reg. The second stage is also a bit heavy. I bought a Zeagle Envoy and gave it my husband and it drove him nuts. He chewed through 2 mouthpieces fighting the swivel. It's particularly bad in Cozumel where the current tugs at the swivel. I never truly disliked a regulator except for the Aeris Atmos Pro.

I'm not upset over buying a regulator I dislike, but it does have some issues. You guys are still my favorite LDS - even though I'm an net customer, I buy more equipment from scubatoys.com than anywhere, including my wonderful (but patchless) Zeagle Brigade :D

redhatmama:
Larry,

The swivel on that reg drives me nuts. It swivels into a position that constantly pulls on the reg. The second stage is also a bit heavy. I bought a Zeagle Envoy and gave it my husband and it drove him nuts. He chewed through 2 mouthpieces fighting the swivel. It's particularly bad in Cozumel where the current tugs at the swivel. I never truly disliked a regulator except for the Aeris Atmos Pro.

I'm not upset over buying a regulator I dislike, but it does have some issues. You guys are still my favorite LDS - even though I'm an net customer, I buy more equipment from scubatoys.com than anywhere, including my wonderful (but patchless) Zeagle Brigade :D

Well, first... we can get a patch for your brigade if you can live without it for a week, so now on to the reg.

I'm guessing you're talking about the swivel on the 1st stage where the reg hoses attaches. This would be on an atmos sport, or pro. Most people find it helps eliminate hose pull, but if it is causing a problem for you, simply skip it! You can put your reg hose into one of the other ports, then try that one as your octo, or inflator, or just plug it and forget it. You can take an allen and just remove the whole thing and a stock port plug will fit in there.

Let me know if you need any help with that, I'll show you on the web cam, or email you some pictures.

scubatoys:
Well, first... we can get a patch for your brigade if you can live without it for a week, so now on to the reg.

My Brigade and I are going to Cozumel at the crack of dawn tomorrow. :D Although I might send it in when I get back

scubatoys:
I'm guessing you're talking about the swivel on the 1st stage where the reg hoses attaches. This would be on an atmos sport, or pro. Most people find it helps eliminate hose pull, but if it is causing a problem for you, simply skip it! You can put your reg hose into one of the other ports, then try that one as your octo, or inflator, or just plug it and forget it. You can take an allen and just remove the whole thing and a stock port plug will fit in there.

I bought the Pro and have never used the Sport, but I would assume the 1st stage swivel is the same on both. Yes, it is the 1st stage swivel which connects the 2nd stage which causes hose pull in a current. The current twists it back and forth in the most maddening hose pull dance. The Aeris swivel has very little resistance and is easy to twist. We eventually plugged the swivel, but the 2nd felt heavy. I put a mares Proton octo on it and often used the octo as my primary, but that caused a lot of concern among DMs. The Proton octo felt much better than the Aeris primary. My husband couldn't believe this reg was that annoying until he used it. He bit his mouthpiece in half while mine was only warped to one side. The reg has now been demoted to "backup" status because we both have other regs we like better. I simply can't stand it with swivel and sans swivel.

The swivel dance issue in currents should be a consideration when considering it for purchase. The other negative is that it is a very wet breather in the heads down position. The Aeris Pro was a mistake for me, but the comments here are intended as honest feedback from an owner and customer to both you and anyone considering purchasing one.

I would choose the Oceanic just for the fact that more shops carry the Oceanic line and it would be easier to get it serviced.

Back
Top Bottom