SP Air 2 - 3rd or 4th generation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rypark1999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking of purchasing the Air2 and have read the threads posted on this board.

I was wondering how you tell the difference between a 3rd and 4th gen Air2. I'm assuming the box and/or the Air2 itself does not state on it "3rd gen" or "4th gen".

Is it safe to assume that the Air2 I will be buying (from my LDS) is a 4th gen?

I didn't realize there was a generation of SP Air2's, I take it there are design improvements.

We have a couple of 2 year old 4th Gen Air 2's which I am planning on putting up on ebay. They are due for a service. They have a black case and grey buttons.

dlndavid:
I didn't realize there was a generation of SP Air2's, I take it there are design improvements.

yeah.
there basically the same, just minor inprovements in materal used...

They have gone through lots of improvements over the years... from 1800 psi bottles to 3000 psi, on switches of various types, to now constant on, re-designed regulator with easier breathing characteristics and less chance of free flow, and now the new filler is the newest advance.

I compared the schematics for the 3rd & 4th generation and the only difference I could find was the generation designation. All parts seemed to be the same. It may be just a sales gimick. Lots of 3rd gen versions available on ebay, both new and used, at pretty good prices,

Are we talking about a Scuba Pro Air 2 - 3rd or 4th generation or a Spare Air 2 - 3rd or 4th generation. I'm seeing posts that seem to speak to each.

Pete

The 1rst generation Air 2 is a clunky looking antique that does not really resemble the later Air 2's and you can no longer get parts for them.

The 2nd generation Air 2 was the first Air 2 to look like the current Air 2.

The 3rd generation Air 2 used an improved air barrel design. On the 2nd generation Air 2, you had to remove the inflator assembly to be able to get the air barrel out of the case. On the 3rd generation Air 2, the inflator does not retain the air barrel and both can be removed independently of the other. This model also had some improvements in the dump/oral inflation valve. It's not unheard of for a 2nd Gen Air 2 to be mistaken for a 3rd Gen Air 2 and to then have the case cracked when the tech tries to forcibly remove the "stuck" air barrel.

The 4th generation Air 2 is a 3rd generation Air 2 with some minor cosmetic changes and introduced a pin to prevent the purge cover from screwing itself off. Functionally, they are identical.

There have been changes in parts as well such as improved diaphragms, etc that are basically retrofittable into older models.

spectrum:
Are we talking about a Scuba Pro Air 2 - 3rd or 4th generation or a Spare Air 2 - 3rd or 4th generation. I'm seeing posts that seem to speak to each.

Pete

ooops... yea.. Air 2... forget my earlier post... we're taling about the Air 2. It was late, I had worked all day, yada yada...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom