Atomics T2 or B2??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cynthia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to buy a new reg, but trying to get my homework done before going to Dallas to ScubaToys. I think these are basically the same reg just made from different metals, yes? Has anyone used both (or either) and prefer one to the other? I know the T2 is roughly twice the cost, but I believe that is because titanium is so expensive. If someone knows more please help!! :)
There's no Atomics dealer here so I'll be flying to Dallas to try/buy. ScubaToys has told me, too, that they'll service it for only $39 if I buy it from them. (my current "service" just cost me $279...whew! My local dive shop shut down so I had to mail my equip. to another town and did they gouge me or what?!?!?! That won't happen again...live and learn, I suppose).
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Cynthia

I just bought a B2 and I spent a loooonnnnng time researching everything.
From my understanding, the B2 and T2 have the same guts - they each breathe exactly the same. The difference is the All Titanium First Stage of the T2 (and T1 for that matter) and a Titanium comfort swivel (compared with 316 Stainless). Essentially, it comes down to weight of the 2nd stage because the difference in the swivel weight is minimal, and cost - nothing to do with performance.
You also have more color options with the B2 :05:

THANK YOU!!! Color options?!?!?! Well...that decides that, doesn't it?!!? hahahahaha! Seriously though, do you love your B2? Honestly, I was leaning that direction, but didn't want to "cheap out" without really knowing that it was ok to do so.
Thanks so much,
Cynthia

I, too, did extensive research before acquiring a Z2. It is about $150 cheaper and breaths the same as above. If fact, in a recent article I read comparing "Muscle Regulators" it exceeded the maximum breathing rate of the B2 at a depth and consumption rate that you and I can never hope to exceed. It was second only to the Z2 and one other reg that I forget right now.

Edit - Sorry, that should say that it was second to the T2. It would be hard to be second to one's self.

Z2? YIKES! hahahahahaha...I'm thinking more homework on my part. I thought I had narrowed it down, but alas...more info is a good thing! Thanks so much for your input and help!
Cynthia

The T2 is often called the Rolls Royce of regs. I wasn't willing to spend that much so I bought 2 B2's for my wife and I.

If you've got to have lite weight go for the T2. We love our B2's.

Nothing wrong with with a Z2. In fact, Atomic even upped the warranty to 2 years from the 1 year it had for the Z1.
Slightly different baseline options, but I liked the 1st stage, the swivel, and the titanium second stage guts. You can add these options to the Z2 and essentially pay the same as a B2.
While ZzzKing noted some quoted differences in breathing, Atomic "swears" they breathe the same. I personally noted that I had a few more minutes of bottom time with a B2 than any other rentals I had previously, and I was in colder water at the time!
B2 vs T2 - you need to consider cost and weight
Z2 vs B2 - you need to consider features and weight
Good luck.

howman:
...While ZzzKing noted some quoted differences in breathing, Atomic "swears" they breathe the same. I personally noted that I had a few more minutes of bottom time with a B2 than any other rentals I had previously, and I was in colder water at the time!
B2 vs T2 - you need to consider cost and weight
Z2 vs B2 - you need to consider features and weight
Good luck.

Yeah, the article cited said it breathed slightly better at 170-180 feet and at a breathing rate comparable to an extremely heavy workload that realistically could only be maintained for less than 3 mintes in an actual human. I understand some regs test better than others because they are designed to score higher on machines.

The guts of all the Atomic regs are supposed to be highly similar except for materials. The Z2 does not include the swivel hose like the B2 does but does have a turret swivel on the first stage. The hose swivel probably accounts for about $70 of the delta between the two.

Y'all are just wonderful! I do truly appreciate your brains and advice! I think the T2 would be wonderful, but if I get a B2 I could get a new BC for the same price as the T2 (roughly). I am, though, going to look into the Z2, also. I betcha weight wise there is a very small discernable difference between the B2 and the T2...I don't know, but without trying them, that's where I'd put my money.
Hmmmmmmmm...heavy workload at 170-180'...I'll probably be doing that, ummmmm...never...:)
I do truly appreciate the help..y'all are wonderful!
Thanks,
Cynthia

Back
Top Bottom