Which Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miler10498

Registered
Reaction score
Hello.
I am looking at getting a new regulator and would like some advise. I would like a balanced first stage. I am considering the zeagle envoy deluxe, the oceanic zeta, the oceanic delta III, or the mares proton metal. Does anyone have any recommendationds. I would like to hear from people who own one of these regs and the +'s or -'s of that reg or any othe suggestions anyone might have. I am trying to stay around $300. Thank you for your input.
Melissa

The Envoy is hard to beat. We have 10 in a rental operation at Weeki Wachee Springs. They get a lot of abuse---they get dragged through the sand, stepped on, I have seen it all. They stay in tune and are incredible breathers. The team that produces this regulator is unmatched in the industry. Here is something to note...each regulator that comes out of the factory is tested and tuned. Ask any regulator tech and they will tell you that the Zeagle regulator line is ready to use out of the box (doesn't need further adjustment). This is not true with all brands. The breathability of this regulator is unreal. Check out the lates issue of Scuba Diving magazine....they did a great job rating regulators.

The Oceanic Zeta is going to be discontinued with a new model to be made available sometime soon (a lot of Zetas being sold on Ebay). For your price range you might consider the Oceanic Delta IV. Use the current rebate program to get a price reduction on the IV http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/services_upgrades.html The IV was also the Scubalab's tester's choice for new model regulators under $500.

I'd stay away from the Oceanic Zeta. The tech at my LDS says they had trouble with the ones they sold (prone to freeflow). Plus, it's been replaced by a newer model, the "ZX", which does not rely on the servo valve technology used in the Zeta.

Of the brands you mentioned, Zeagle has the best reputation for customer support.

___

In this price range, the envoy is tough to beat in terms of price, performance and support.

I'd go with envoy of all the choices in that price range. Had some unpleasant experiences with Oceanic regs (zeta and omega), and though proton's a decent reg, and extremely easy to be worked on, Mares' one-warehouse-in-the-whole-frikin-nation thing really makes its costumer service a great pain.

I dive with an Envoy and absolutely love it. Haven't had one problem with it, even when my husband and friends around me have had to have their non-Zeagle regs (Apeks and AquaLung) tuned between servicing. Can't beat the Zeagle IMO. :D

Greeting,
I Dive the Zeagle Envoy in mud and crud and havn't had any problems 20-25 dives in the muck this year and it is still performing great!! Sorry no experience with the others only Sherwood Bizzard which has fewer dives 10-15 and it is perfoming excellent also.
Hope my 2 cents helps...
Scot

All of your choices will fall into your price range, and the only thing you have to decide is some basic functionality questions. Do you want an adjustment? If so the Envoy is a good choice. Or do you not care about that, but want a very small second stage? If that is the case then its the proton or the zeta. Then do you want a conventional second stage, or a servo valve?? The zeta is a servo.

So after you answer the questions, do you want adjustable knobs... and does size really count... then you'll have your answer!

Back
Top Bottom