Cold Water Diving with Sherwood Magnum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently purchased a Sherwood Magnum for my daughter. Althougth we live in Florida we may dive in Monterey CA in Arpil. Can we used the Magnum at ~50F temperatures? The manual says it exceed Navy standards for cold water diving and has anti-freezing features but I did not see a minimum temperature.

Thanks

Second that, the blizzard is their coldwater reg, but by that they mean ice. So yes I would tke a Magnum to 40*

I have a very old (15 years ago, I think), Sherwood Magnum Blizzard regulator. I'm not sure about today's Sherwood Magnum, but the Blizzard version of it had two heat-retaining vanes in the mouthpiece that went to the demand valve in the second stage. These were very important in the anti-freeze properties of that regulator. Check with the LDS and see what the features are for the current Sherwood Magnum. The first stage is protected from freeze-up by being air isolated from the water. But the second stage, in order to be used in freezing waters, should have some mechanism like the vanes of the older version to retain heat to perform best in very cold water (say water with a temperature in the 30s F).

One other note, I use the vanes only in the cold water season, and remove them for warmer water, as the regulator breaths better without them (or at least used to in the older version). Again, check with the LDS about this aspect too.

SeaRat

Sherwood has since restricted this design to the 'blizzard' regulator. The magnum blizzard no longer exists. These fins are only present on the the sherwood blizzard and Oasis regulators. There are many other ways of making a regulator cold water friendly. Unless you drop below 45 degrees, your magnum will do fine.
Only in colder conditions should you consider having a cold water compatable second stage. Other than that all sherwood first stages are the same with the exception of the Brut.

Here in northern NY we use sherwood blizzards and magnums year round, for Dive team and personal.

UB, I don't have much to add, except that I will also put in a good word for diving the Sherwood Magnum in cold water. I bought a Maximus last season, but prior to that I dove with a Magnum several times that I had on loan from the LDS. We dive down to 40 degrees here in Lk. Michigan all year long and the Shewood Magnum did great on the deep cold stuff. Lots of Sherwood regs used here, Shewood has a great reputation with our cold water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom