Leaking Poseidon first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SK Low

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been using a pair of Poseidon Jetstream(Odin) since August last year. I am very happy with their performance. Recently, I have been experiencing a leak from the first stage of the long hose upon ascent. The first stage of the short hose is OK.
The leak originate from the safety valve on the first stage of the long hose. I have replace all the O-rings on the first stage and the seat of the safety valve. It did not leak when I test it in the workshop, but start to leak upon surfacing after completing all my deco stops, which I used another regulator for the deco bottle.

Did anyone encounter this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Who taught you how to take apart and reassemble Poseidon regs? They would be a good source of info.

Hi,

Both regs were serviced by the same technican, both had all the O-rings and seats replaced. Only the long hose first stage is leaking while the short hose first stage is performing fine.
The technican is puzzled also. The reg is now in the shop for troubleshooting.
I am just not comfortable with the leaks for the past 2 deep dive.
I am just wondering if I am the first guy who encounter such scenario using the Poseidon Jetstream/Odin?
Anybody with this problem and has found the solution?

Thanks.

Upstream reg that flows excessively isn't rare. They either freeflow or make a snapping noise. Remember, you are diving poseidons.

Hi Divesherpa,

I am interested to know if the safety valve for the Poseidon Jetstream first stage part number 3790 actuate at what pressure?
I am suspecting the pressure spring in the safety valve is faulty.
What do you think? Do you dive with Poseidon too?

Thanks.

What you are decribing you usually only see on a reg that the IP is creeping, the IP is slightly high, or a faulty OPV.. Remember the 1st stage adjusts the IP to ambient pressure, if you are breathing it it will keep the IP down. an OPV operated when 1 side is greater than a predetermined pressure as opposed to the other side...
With poseidons you can't resuse HP seats every time you disassemble the 1st you MUST replace it. You didn't say how deep you were (and at what depth yu went off the reg)but say you were only at 130 thats an additional 60 psi the ip will rise until its breathed at least once then it again will be within the correct ratio to ambient pressure.

Probably need to replace the HP seat. This is very common with poseidons, and one of the reasons why I stoped diving with them. The other problem was I could not get individual parts, just complete rebuild kits, and at $40 a kit, I got tired of the cost of maintaining these regs.

Also, many so called "certified poseidon techs" do not have a clue how to adjust these regs, so if you are not doing it yourself, good luck....

dive safe,

d

This sounds, as others on this thread have already pointed out, as IP creep from a damaged/worn/defective HP seat, a common problem with these regs. Just throwing in a rebuild kit or a new HP seat isn't necessarily a cure - I have a buddy who has had his Odin rebuilt 4 times by a well-regarded (though not a Poseidon dealer) shop in Florida cave country trying to cure the same problem. Finding a really competent Poseidon tech usually is.

See the "Overhauls and Underhauls" section on
http://www.airspeedpress.com/regread.html. for more info.

The HP seat in the Poseidon 1st needs to be seated using low pressure after a rebuild. Applying 50 psi to the 1st stage, and then cranking it up slowly to 300-500psi before subjecting it to full tank pressure tends to eliminate most of the "mystery leakers" that show up after a fresh rebuild. Make sure the piston is polished too.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advise. Will do that and bring it out this weekend for a test to 45m and back.

Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks,
SK

Back
Top Bottom