how many had a regualor failure /which one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
well i want to know how many had a true regulator failure and which type and if you know why , thought about doing a poll but to many types of regulators to list and how long ago was the failure

Back in '84 or '85 diving in an inland lake in Iceland I had a Scubapro Mk 5 (I think) Pilot freeze open about 60 feet. Blew my mask off and it was quite a ride. It drained the tank and only then quit.

That what you had in mind?

sure is thanks I keep hearing about who has be regulator to me any regulator that does its job and dont makeyou workis a good regulator

Well, if you consider the silicone part detaching itself from the rest, I did, several times, until I discovered the small band fixing it was defective.

It pissed me really off when it happened towards the end of a very enjoyable dive in Thailand, got a bit of salty water in and a few minutes later I was feeding the fish.

Had one quit working completely at around 60 feet. It just locked up. I don't believe they will sell you parts for them anymore and they are not reccomended for continued service. The second stage is still in great shape. Still use it as an octopus. 1974 production.
Tom

Hi Medic13, you agian :D

Mares Abbys that froze in cold Dutch waters (8 degrees).

I just had it serviced (read install Cold water Kit even before the reg was used! new out of the box and never used!). Mares abbys breathes cold and it feels like your throat is drying.

Even the SP MK25 with its so called "weak cold water design" (which is Bullshi.. i think, it is not abouth piston or diaph.! It is abouth quality design!) breathed much dryer and warmer. (air in your throat feels warmer).

Even better is what i have right now: Atx200!

Xerxes

I have had a reg problem twice, the 1st time i was diving a reg that was just serviced, i was in 60ft of water and the thing just fell apart because the technician had failed to put back a metal ring that keeps that entire exhaust together, needless to say i was a LITTLE upset with that 'qualified' tech :fury:

the second time i had a reg freeflow at the surface, again just after an overhaul.

Be VERY careful what tech touches your reg, one more reason i'd like to know how to do it myself, that is the only way you know it is going to be done right ( no pun intended)

even though i have never had a failure i do know sevral that had scuba pro not sure what modals fail , but one just had a over haul i only trust one regulator repair person in the sourounding couties in my area he services our rescue team stuff ect and never has done a bad job for us not to mention hes a fellow police officer too see the police , ems , rescue , fire , we all work together and have to help each other hehe

Shortly after service (maybe 5 dives) she checked it during a pre-dive check and said it was breathing too easy. We found the plug opposite the hose end was missing. O-ring will hold it in but required an 1/8 turn to lock it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom