Aqualung Mistral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Footslogger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Anyone out there using the Mistral double hose reg ?? Pros ...Cons ?? Had an old Royal Aquamaster when I first started diving in the 70's and am considering going back to the double hose design especially for photography. I also think it would be nice to have equal resistance on both sides of the mouthpiece rather than the single hose tugging from only the right side.

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger

Apparently they work ok. The WOB is a little higher than a single hose reg but that's to be expected. The 1st stage is Aqualung's indestructible Titan design and a normal octopus can be added.

R..

Creed:
Why don't you go back to the Aquamaster?
=======================================
Thought about that but mine never breathed well in anything other than the horizontal (or near horizontal) position in the water. Plus ...they had some horendous free flow problems. My old one is just a display piece now.

From what I read they have solved all the old issues with the Mistral.

Dunno ...probably gonna wait a while before I take the plunge. Haven't seen the price tag yet anyway and that alone may scare me away.

'Slogger

Diver0001:
You'll need to be sitting down for that part....

R..

And if you think the "regular" one is bad, have you seen the limited edition? The LDS here has one. Very pretty in it's wood box but it's too expensive to look at much less get wet. :)

OK ...I'm sitting down. What's the price tag on that sucker ??

'Slogger

I looked at one at a LDS here in Tampa,Fla, And if I recall correctly it was around $400
Not really that much(my reg I use now is $1300)
The limited edition one is not too much different and
has an $1800 price tag.
When I inquired about it they declined to sell it,
claiming that they felt pretty lucky to even have one.

Besides the guy nearly had a stroke when he found out that if I bought it it would most definitely get used as a regulator.

Footslogger:
OK ...I'm sitting down. What's the price tag on that sucker ??

'Slogger

The regular version in the closest DS to me is $799. It's come down in price a bit. I was asked to make an offer, but I don't see any advantage over my current setup. Especially not with those huge hoses pulling on my head.

Thought about that but mine never breathed well in anything other than the horizontal (or near horizontal) position in the water. Plus ...they had some horendous free flow problems. My old one is just a display piece now.

From what I read they have solved all the old issues with the Mistral.

Dunno ...probably gonna wait a while before I take the plunge. Haven't seen the price tag yet anyway and that alone may scare me away.

'Slogger

Display? Oh, man, send it to me. I'll display it proudly on the vintage dive coming up next week!
I dive an Aquamaster right now. Yes, you have to be aware of position, but that's a given for any regulator with the diaphram in that position. I like the fact that I can just do roll to the side and get a nice blast of air. Besides, no one said you have to use it exclusively. I also dive with Conshelf sets. Seriously, send it to one of the guys who restore vintage regs, and get some vintage bubble time in. And, if you are patient, there's a gentleman working on a new nozzle assembly. It will make an DA Aquamaster into the equivalent of a Royal Aquamaster with extra lp and hp ports.

Well ...that knocks me out of the box. I don't dive enough to justify that price tag.

Thanks for the feedback.

'Slogger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom