What Apeks reg setup to buy for open water, DIR okay? Price no object.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zimm17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm buying all new gear as I'm going the DIR route. I'm going to buy a set of Apeks regs. What's the best setup for an open water diver who will eventually take the GUE tech course and start tech diving in a year or two? I'm thinking about a pair of first/second stages and using the one first stage with both regs on the single tank setup until I start diving twins. Then I'll use both 1st stages. I don't think I want Y-valves on my tanks because some of friends borrow my tanks for their diving...or is it worth the redunancy?

What is the best performing apeks regs to get for the primary and backup? Ideally I think I need matched 1st stages, but a lower performace backup? I want to make sure I go the DIR route for my DIR-Fundamentals class which I will take in the future.

Are all the Apeks regs able to be taken apart underwater?

Please also send a copy of your reply to my email address since I'm in the Navy on a ship and internet connectivity is very rare.

Thanks.

zimmermg@fletcher.navy.mil

If money is not an issue then it's tough to beat the ATX200 but the ATX50/DS4 would be a very capable primary as well and whole lot cheaper. The ATX40 is an excellent backup.

I'm diving TX 50 + 40. If you are diving warm water only, you could use Tx 20s as well.

They are pretty well the same regs but the 40 is the 20 with a heat sink in it, and the 50 has the heat sink and the adjustable breathing.

Also if you are going the DIR route, make sure you get them in DIN and that you get the turretless first stages (I beleive that that is the DS-4 not the DS-T)

Have fun!

I've been diving ScubaPro for a few years now. Have not yet tried the Apeks Regs yet. Everyone I talk to recommens Apeks, but as far as breathability, are they much better really? I find that with about 9 months use, my ScubaPro stuff just gets mucked up, even with required maint and regular good cleaning after diving.

Any advice? Everyone in thi sthread seems to agree. I guess my questions is .. how does Apeks stack up against ScubaPro

Warm regards

Paul

... your Scubapro being "mucked up" but all of my Apeks take a lickin' and keep on tickin'...
Backgas:
DS4 first
Tx40 or 50 second
Tx20 bungee
Deco:
DST first
Tx50 second

(I use a old Mares navy second for the bungee)

There's no reason to spend money for the sake of spending it. The only significant advantage the 200 has over the DS4 or TX100 first stage is it's lighter weight. The breathability of these regs is indistinguishable -- all things being equal -- IMO. I like my ATX50 second stage for my primary, but it's not extremely important. I would recommend DS4's (what I use) or TX100 (particularly for doubles) first stages, ATX50 for your primary (if you want a lighter primary, otherwise a TX50), TX40 for a backup, and TX50/DS4's for deco bottles.

Good luck,

Mike

Thanks to UP and LY... I saved myself the expense of trial and error. I went straight for the ATX200 with ATX40 backup. Well....
I did squander a bit..... but it was because I was able to get such a great deal on my ATX200second/ATX200 first ($330). I really wanted the DS4 first stage... but it did not come in combination with the ATX200 at the time of my purchase. I have since converted my ATX200 first to DIN.

You can get an ATX40 second (by itself/no first stage, or hose) for $136.00 shipped. This makes an excellent backup.

But as LY has pointed out.... you can get the same performance (with the exception of VERY cold/ice diving) by going with the ATX50 primary. And... the DS4 is near legendary in its performance. If you can pick up (2) DS4 first stages (one now one later), and (2) ATX50's (a third later), you will be WAY set!
You can save even further $$ by going with (2) ATX50 octos, and having the faceplates changed to BLACK, and retuning them to operate as primary's. LY did this and saved quite a bit.

I am very glad I made the choice to follow their advice. These regs perform outstanding. I have aquired some of the very best equipment you can buy, at a price that made it an even easier decision.

I have heard/read that the "H" valve is quickly becoming the valve of choice over the "Y" valve. Consider the "H" valve.

My ATX50 second stage did superbly this winter ice diving as did the TX40 when I used it. My TX50 and TX100 (who's second stages are virtually identical) also have done fine for ice diving. I used to have a tremendous problem with Apeks regs acting up in very cold water, but reducing the IP from 145psi (factory) to 130psi cured my free flow problems. Apeks claims that the heat exchangers in the 100's and 200's seconds are bigger, but they ain't that much bigger and I doubt the significance based on my experience in cold water. They all do fine in cold water if you do your part.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom