How to install an Octopus and Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nyscubanerd

Registered
Reaction score
Well folks, time for a serious newbie question. I recently purchased a new Regulator (Scuba Pro MK25 and S600). I did not bring my Octopus and Gauge with me and need to transfer to the new system at home.

Is there anything special I should do to hook these up or do I just screw them in?

Also, how does everyone wear their octopus and gauges? I've always had my regulator over my right and my octopus and guage over my left. I have a Scuba Pro Knight Hawk and enjoy the ability of fastening them directly to my chest so I always know where everything is.

Thanks for the info,

Kevin

I'm curious about this as well since I want to buy some gear online and I assume I will have to assemble it. I thought you pretty much just screwed the hoses in and then checked for leaks.

Someone knowledgable please answer.

jsm

Yeah, pretty much. The unused ports should have plugs in them.. just remove the plugs with an allen wrench, and screw in the hoses. Tighten a bit beyond hand tight with a wrench.

Be sure you get some o-ring lube (silicon, or O2 compatible for nitrox use) and lubricate the o-rings before installing the hoses. Just use a tiny amount, rub it between your fingers, and rub the o-ring. You just want them to look wet.

As for your other question, I have my primary reg on a 5' hose, and my backup on a bungee around my neck (on a 22" hose). My SPG is on a 29" hose... it very conveniently routes under the left pocket of my BC and sits face-flat against the side of my stomach. It stays put well, and pulls out very quickly for a check, and pushes right back in. Checking my SPG takes all of two seconds, it's not dangling anywhere, and it's easy for my buddies to see. Since you probably don't have an option like this, I'd find a D-ring near my left hip to clip it off onto with a bolt snap. You can use a zip tie to attach the hose to the bolt snap to the hose.

Don't worry, it's really easy to put together a regulator set. I just talk too much for my own good :)

As Jonnythan said, remove one of the ports and screw it in. As far as the octopus and gauges..... when I had an octopus it was on my right hand side with my primary reg and the gauges were on the left. When I went to my new reg set up and my new BC I now use the AIR2 from Scubapro. But whatever you like is the best way to set it up, if you like the octopus on your left go for it.

Rich :mean:

nyscubanerd once bubbled...
Also, how does everyone wear their octopus and gauges? I've always had my regulator over my right and my octopus and guage over my left.

Maybe I’m missing something here but shouldn’t your primary second stage and octo come over your right shoulder and your gauge/computer and low-pressure inflator over your left?

Mike

Assembling the system is a snap.

Just unscrew the hoses from the ports on your old first stage using a wrench. Take the plugs out of your new first stage (be sure to save them) w/ an allen wrench (it may have been provided with the reg) and then hand screw the hoses in. I tighten them by hand, and give a little extra twist with a wrench.

As far as gear config goes..typically, second stages go on the right, computers, lp inflator hoses etc. go to the left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom