Cold Water and the Oceanic Alpha 8 Sport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake_Doig

Registered
Reaction score
Finally, I bought a reg, open the box and read the instructions and I see that the instrucitons indicate that this regular is not for use in Temperatures of below 50 degrees :confused: . Crap. Okay. Now honestly have I simply not been aware that even newly designed regulators even one said to exceed testing standards (ScubaLab) will not perform safely in these conditions? Or is this just a "please take the wrapper off the pop tart before toasting" sort of rule for someone who doesnt know cold water diving rules? What sort of materials or design lie in this reg that make it unfit for such a dive?
This is most frustrating becuase thermoclines in the midwest and upper lake michigan (where i am now) will, I am guessing take me below 50F here in the upper great lake michigan even in the summer. (I have been doing shallow dives the last week and the Temps are ~65F so I dont know for sure) But Im planning on diving a 100ft wreck soon, and odds are: brrrr. I dive recreationly BTW so nothing deco
I know its my own skin I have to worry about; so I need answers! does anyone think that diving this reg under 50F is reasonable? Most importantly does anyone think this is dangerous and why? its not like Im not going under the ice with this thing..... er yet.
In case this isnt clear: Im not looking for the answer: dont do it because the manual says so. Sarcasm aside, where it stands now, I am not. I just need to know mechanically and through reason why this is unsafe so I can learn
FYI As far as the reg goes after one dive, well... its nice: no fuss, comfortable mouthpiece, breaths very easy in any position, just simple: the way I like it. Ive tried many many regs, a couple full face included (not really a fan even in near freezing temps) and so long as I can take this guy into some chilly waters (obviously pending) Im sticking with it.
Im asking some professional divers their thoughts as well on this and, if its worthwhile, Ill post what they tell me, excluding the derogatory j/k.

The Alpha 8 and SP5 ( if that's what you have) is a simple unbalanced and unsealed piston first stage. Water gets in through the holes and is in contact with the piston and spring. As you demand air, the temperature drops in the first stage, which could lead to freezing of the water, jamming the piston open and causing a freeflow.

However, I've got an Alpha 7 and SP4 which is almost the same, and have used it down to about 8 degrees C in fresh, and 6 degrees C in salt water here in the UK. It's a fairly low performance first stage, without massive flow, so you may get away with it if you're not a heavy breather...... your choice of course if you chance it!

Regards :D

Take it back and GET an Apeks XTX40 with the free octo before the end of the month.

Hmm thanks for the info. Anyone else have cold water regulator suggestions like serrada? Especially if you have tried it in cold water.

Thanks again

I have Scubapro MK25AF/G250HP and have dove it to the mid 40's here in the northeast, both in salt and fresh water. No Problems, and is a great breather. Good luck.

I have a PX2 first stage with the Alpha 7 second and I've it several times in cold water. The average temp here is 50 degrees. In the winter the surface can get much colder. I've never had a problem with it. It's been a good reg.

PM me your phone #, I'll give you a call. I may have some insight being a Oceanic rep and I used to teach in the great lakes....

I'l like that info too! I tried to send you an email, Cerich, but keep getting error messages so not sure if you got it.

But I am (was?) planning on an Alpha 8 Sport, but it doesn't take much to hit 50 degrees here in NJ. If that's a limit on the reg, I'd like to find out about it before I buy it!

Thanks,
Mike

NJMike:
I'l like that info too! I tried to send you an email, Cerich, but keep getting error messages so not sure if you got it.

But I am (was?) planning on an Alpha 8 Sport, but it doesn't take much to hit 50 degrees here in NJ. If that's a limit on the reg, I'd like to find out about it before I buy it!

Thanks,
Mike

It would be fine in NJ except on the coldest of days in Jan/Feb. The SP5(Sport) is more resistant to freeze than a PX3. Good technique and you could get away with a Sport for Ice diving, I would just have a tech lower the IP first.

Best,

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom